On the eve of this sites 15th birthday, an number of important changes have been made to the sites software to better your experience and help prevent SPAM. Cosmetic changes are still in the works, so please ignore any odd colors you may encounter and please report any errors you see. Thank you for a great 15 years! -DV.net Management

KEANE WONDER MINE IS REOPENING

Death Valley related discussion
Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:09 pm

As a reminder to anyone thinking of going November 7th, the big Death Valley 49ers encampment in Furnace Creek is going on at the same time. The dates for that are the 5th Thru the 12th.

CanyonmanClark
Jayhawker

Post by CanyonmanClark » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:47 am

There's no conspiracy BS here where the park closed it for no reason. A visitor died there in 1984 after falling down a shaft. Additionally, heavy metals were found in the easily airborne sediment of the tailings. The park did invest money to clean up the area and to restabilize openings. Here's more information.

https://parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHom ... ctID=58748

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... EDhDqJnjXz

DavidW
Jayhawker

Re: KEANE WONDER MINE IS REOPENING

Post by DavidW » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:51 am

Was just there on November 12th. This was my first time there, so I don't know how it looked before. They have stabilized some of the wood structures near the parking area, and also the tramway. Up at the mine, more wooden structures are stabilized as well. All the mine tunnels have bars or steel netting closing them off, and the area at the top where the collapse was is all fenced in with barbed wire.

It was really a cool hike and place to see. My dad told me how awesome the inside of the mine was years ago, so I've always wanted to go. I knew it would be closed off, and had collapsed, but just seeing the area has always appealed to me. Glad it opened back up and I got to go.

badtux
Breyfogler

Post by badtux » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:12 am

The Keane Wonder Mine was mined with room-and-pillar of the main ore body, which was far larger than a shaft. Pillars of ore were used to hold the roof up. When the mine closed because the main ore body's limits had been reached, the last thing that was done was to pull out the pillars, starting from the back to the front of the mine, and feeding the resulting ore to the mill. The result rendered the mine unstable and unsafe. It has been collapsing ever since, sometimes fast, sometimes slow. The decaying tram towers and the high amount of toxins in the spoil area simply compounded the situation.

I will be curious to see what they've done to stabilize the mine itself, other than simply closing off entrances to the mine. My understanding was that the trail itself past the main tram station was undercut by the mine in places and was in danger of collapsing into the mine in places. Perhaps they rerouted those areas?

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:48 pm

badtux wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:12 am
My understanding was that the trail itself past the main tram station was undercut by the mine in places and was in danger of collapsing into the mine in places. Perhaps they rerouted those areas?
I would be very interested in hearing about the trail heading on up from the mine. The route goes left across the mouth(s) of the mine at the level of the tramway head end, and then curves behind the mines and heads up. I think you may be able to continue up canyon behind the tram head as well, but not sure where you can get out.