Darwin Stone Circle - A Hidden Treasure Just West Of Death Valley

Death Valley related discussion
Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Darwin Stone Circle - A Hidden Treasure Just West Of Death Valley

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:25 pm

On a cold windy February day tour the inspiring Darwin Stone Circle located in the southwest part of this small California community with a colorful history. I've been to Darwin four times knowing nothing of this "solid" stone circle art installation. Luckily, I was doing a more thorough driving tour (driving rather walking due to the cold stiff wind) and just happened upon it

Also, I had wrongly assumed the US Post Office was in the center of town at the vintage intersection. It is located up a few blocks and north of the main intersection. Included are some new (at least to me) landmarks I have previously missed. Here's my video tour followed by notes and links to other movies about Darwin.

Just uphill from The Darwin Stone Circle and on the south side of the road lies a really cool solar passive home from which Mr. Larry Krause runs his popular Airbnb. He happened to be home when I knocked on his door after being referred there by another helpful Darwin resident.

Larry shared the following about his experience in Darwin, CA.

1. His only access to the Internet is with his vintage computer and dial-up modem, which serves him well with low data tasks like email and checking on AIRbnb reservations.
2. Darwin currently is down to 44 residents after losing three "older folks" the past few months.
3. Darwin recently solved its sticky water system problems with an expensive upgrade which will meet community needs for some time to come. This is good news for Larry because he opted not to drill his own well.
4. When I asked him if he was "an outcast" in his community he got a big grin on his weathered but friendly face and then a long silent pause prior to responding, "We're a typical small community of independent types so you can take that any way you wish."
5. I asked him for a movie review of the documentary "Darwin - No Services Ahead."

He had seen it and thought it reflected Darwin in "too negative of a way." I replied that I did not' take a negative connotation from the movie myself but rather that it highlighted the positives of human diversity. Larry informed me that there have been two other movies filmed about Darwin, he could not remember the names but thought they were done by a French person or a Swiss person. So I've tried to locate them on the Internet.

Here's the second one:

And the third one:

Larry was very friendly and informative and I left respecting his outlook on life (a retired ocean lifeguard from Southern California who can no longer surf or ski due to a bad ankle) and loving the many stories of how he fell in love with Death Valley and hiking the narrows (his favorite thing to do in the park.)
Life begins in Death Valley

Daw89446
Jayhawker

Re: Darwin Stone Circle - A Hidden Treasure Just West Of Death Valley

Post by Daw89446 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:40 pm

Further west and a bit south are about 33 circles. Short and made of stone. Just large enough for a small statured Chinese man to crawl into and get out of the weather. They are still remaining from these talented stone masons who were employed building mortarless stone supports for Remi Nadeau’s road over Slate Range and across Panamint Valley to access Lookout and the road up Wildrose Canyon to the kilns.

EDIT 2/22: I meant EAST, not west.
Last edited by Daw89446 on Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GaryW
Jayhawker

Post by GaryW » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:54 pm

I wonder if Jim will be able to post from prison, or perhaps get others to do it for him?
Garyw

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:33 pm

Daw89446 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:40 pm
Further west and a bit south are about 33 circles.
Fascinating story. I tried but failed to find the circles on Google Earth. I'll see if I can locate them during my next visit to Darwin.
Life begins in Death Valley

Daw89446
Jayhawker

Post by Daw89446 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:12 pm