Wildflowers

Death Valley related discussion
dustyfart
Jayhawker

Post by dustyfart » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:22 am

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:08 pm

Wildflower shots from April 17 and April 19 in Wildrose Canyon and Eureka Valley.

ImageImage
Beavertail cactus, (left) Wildrose Canyon, and (right) Eureka Valley.

ImageImage
Shrubs with purple blooms, both Eureka Valley. Left is taken where the Big Pine-Death Valley Road enters Eureka Valley, right is taken at the northern part of Eureka Valley near Piper Mountain.

ImageImage
Left: Eureka Valley along the Big Pine-Death Valley road. Right: Joshua Flats, Inyo Range, along the Big Pine-Death Valley road.

ImageImage
Left: Wash crossing of the road between Eureka Valley and Gilbert Summit in the Piper Peak wilderness. Right: Northern Eureka Valley.

ImageImage
Left: Indian Paintbrush, Joshua Flats, Inyo Range. Right: Panamint Daisy, Wildrose Canyon.

ImageImage
Both: Sand dunes, Eureka Valley.

ImageImage
Both: Wildrose Canyon.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

J Fribley
Jayhawker

Re: Wildflowers

Post by J Fribley » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:08 pm

Hello D.A. Wright. I came across this old post of yours that mentions the road between Gilbert Summit and Eureka Valley in the Piper Mountain Wilderness. Can you share any info about that road? We're planning on going to the Piper Mountain Wilderness next week and I can find just about zero info about that road! Looks like there's some good hiking but it also looks like the road could be iffy in the middle. Thanks for any help. J Fribley

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Re: Wildflowers

Post by D.A. Wright » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:32 pm

J Fribley wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:08 pm
Hello D.A. Wright. I came across this old post of yours that mentions the road between Gilbert Summit and Eureka Valley in the Piper Mountain Wilderness. Can you share any info about that road? We're planning on going to the Piper Mountain Wilderness next week and I can find just about zero info about that road! Looks like there's some good hiking but it also looks like the road could be iffy in the middle. Thanks for any help. J Fribley
It has been about thirteen years since I’ve travelled the road so cannot give up to the minute information. I no longer live in the region.

In 2007 I lead an Oregon acquaintance in a Toyota Highlander over the road with no real issues. Closer to the CA168 (Gilbert Summit) side of the road, there is one minor bedrock climb, but the Highlander cleared with ease. Lower down there is one wash that if recently cut by flash flood waters might be a hurdle. Otherwise, this road poses no technical issues in normal condition.

D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.