Men to Match My Mountains

Death Valley related discussion
Dezdan

Men to Match My Mountains

Post by Dezdan » Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:50 pm

Has anyone read this book by Irving Stone? If so, how was the section on/about Death Valley?

ccv
Death Valley Resident

Post by ccv » Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:54 pm

Ok, read the book years and years ago. Does this mean I am going to have to put down the book I picked up last night "Gunfighers, Highwaymen & Vigilantes", just to refresh my memory on "Men to Match My Mountains"?

Ah, here it is, read it years and years ago, but don't remember anything about Death Valley. A quick look in the Index shows something on page 160, and pages 170-175.

Another quick glance at page 160 shows a brief mention of the Jayhawker & Manly parties ""The ordeal of the desert, to be played to a climax a few months later by the Jayhawker and Manly parties on the scorching sands of Death Valley, was marked in the summer of 1849 by a trail of shallow graves, the bleaching skeletons of twelve hundred animals, of abandoned household goods, beds and bureaus, stoves and trunks, and finally of the wagons themselves, their canvas and staves bleaching like the white bones of played out animals."

Pages 170-175 - Chapter IX entitled "Death Valley Earned Its Name" - well, if you've read "Deathly Valley in 49" by Lewis Manyly - looks to me like this chapter just gives you the story in a nutshell.

If you want the book for it's excerpts of Death Valley alone - and you already aware of the story of the Death Valley 49'ers, I wouldn't waste my time on it. If you want a brief synopsis of the "opening of the Far West" in general - go for it.
Cecile
---------------
Well behaved women rarely make history-
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
www.explorehistoricalif.com

Dezdan

Oh...

Post by Dezdan » Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:32 pm

Ah, ok. Well in doing some Genealogy research I found that I may possibly be related to James & Juliet Brier (cousin 5 times removed). Upon doing some more research, I found where their great, great granddaughter stated, "Irving Stone's book "Men to Match My Mountains" paints quite a picture of Juliet's strength and courage in taking her family into California." That got me a bit interested, and hence why I asked about the book...

~Dezdan 8O