Government Shutdown-- Effects on Death Valley

Death Valley related discussion
Dezdan

Post by Dezdan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:59 pm

Candace_66 wrote:I enjoyed the suggestion that in event of a shutdown, roads without gates would be signed as closed. A few of them are signed as closed much of the time! :lol:
That is Inyo County, not the Park.

fhood
Jayhawker

Post by fhood » Sun May 01, 2011 12:32 am

Candace_66 wrote:
jacknv7 wrote:Well, if a shut down does occur on April 14, I will be there to get plenty of photos of a desert park pretty much void of visitors in the outback areas. Wait! I think I already have thousands of photos like that now! :shock:
:lol:

I enjoyed the suggestion that in event of a shutdown, roads without gates would be signed as closed. A few of them are signed as closed much of the time! :lol:
I like to drive around the "ROAD CLOSED" signs.

alluvialfan
Grubstaker

Post by alluvialfan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:11 pm

The issues discussed in this topic appear to be back.
If the Fed. Govt. defaults next week, the Natl. Parks will almost certainly close.

I have no intention of debating the issues up in DC.

I'm just reminding potential visitors to Death Valley (and other Natl Parks as well) to be on alert for the park(s) being closed. Make sure you have backup vacation plans in case the worst happens.

I would imagine Telescope, Wildrose Peak hikes would be out, as they would probably close the road to that area.

GaryW
Jayhawker

Hopeful

Post by GaryW » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:33 pm

I don't go where the Park Service provides their services, so I wouldn't be effected. I don't dought though that they would be putting up road and trail closed signs everywhere till they run out of signs with the hope that all will get on the phone and bitch about opening back up at what ever costs. All those that have been around awhile likely remember the pre nation park days. Wouldn't that be nice again.
As stated before "I love going around ROAD CLOSED signs"
Garyw

Moly Man
Breyfogler

Post by Moly Man » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:58 pm

I echo Gary's sentiments in the event of a park closure. I've very rarely encountered Park Rangers during any of my visits so I don't think it would impact me too adversely. Course I do like to hit the watering hole at Furnace Creek on occasion but that's pretty much the extent of my interaction with the Park Service or it concessionaires.