Racetrack Playa - Any recent visits?

Death Valley related discussion
dezzouk
Jayhawker

Racetrack Playa - Any recent visits?

Post by dezzouk » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi there,

I am currently planning to rent a Farabees Jeep to Racetrack Playa in the first week of April.

I have been reading a lot of negative reports about footprints on the playa, jeep tracks on the playa, stones which have been moved, tracks obviously created by human intervention..... etc...

Has anybody been there recently whom can give an accurate opinion on the real state of affairs at the Playa.

I am concerned that there is a real possibility that all of the effort and cost getting there will prove disappointing.

Any comments based on recent experience gratefully received!!

Des

TonyG
Jayhawker

Post by TonyG » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:22 pm

It's been a few years since I've been to Racetrack Playa, but it's a large place, thus even a few scars perpetrated by vandals will not be able to to destroy the beauty of the place--go and enjoy, and try to find an undisturbed area in the SE end.

However, I don't think you should go if there was a recent rain, though... The 27 mile drive might be a bit difficult, and the playa soft and muddy.

Sunman
Jayhawker

Post by Sunman » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:58 pm

This is not recent but I was out there in late spring and it seemed to me many rocks were missing or moved compared to previous visits. That said its still worth the trip and there are still plenty of rocks out there.

GaryW
Jayhawker

Post by GaryW » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:27 pm

Well worth the drive in almost any vehicle. Was there in Sept, 11 and only noticed small loop tracks just past first visitor sign where someone drove in and quickly out leaving their tracks. The amount of rocks did seem fewer though, but neither of those are reason enough to lesson the pleasure of being out there. Also love the campground. Never had to share it with other campers, and the whole valley tends to be yours alone on the early morning.
Gary

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:17 pm

Racetrack would have to get pretty badly trashed to not be worth a visit! You don't really need the Jeep to get up there but there's some roads you might enjoy playing on with it. Don't go down the Lippencott Rd into the Saline Valley unless you're an experienced 4WD driver, or have experienced companion vehicles.