NOTICE: DV.net will be down for a few days starting 9/24 while some forum software modifications are made.

2 Deaths While Searching for U2's Joshua Tree

Death Valley related discussion
SteveH
Death Valley Resident

2 Deaths While Searching for U2's Joshua Tree

Post by SteveH » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:36 am

Just came across this news story from two years ago. Some of you might have already seen this but I didn't know about it. I was doing some internet searching to see if the location of the U2 Joshua Tree had been leaked, when I came across this sad account of two people (one Dutch & one German) who were searching Joshua Tree NP for the U2 Joshua Tree. Of course, the tree is not located there, but they didn't know that. Sadly, the heat overtook them and they died while on their quest.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011 ... ree_u2.php

bikerjosh
Jayhawker

U2 joshua tree

Post by bikerjosh » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:27 pm

Sad, hadn't seen that story before.
Back in Nov 2011, on our way to Death Valley I went out into the area with a gps to locate it. Tough to see it when walking since there isn't much when you get to the spot other than the fallen/broken up tree a plaque and small plastic container with journals. You are almost on top of it before you see it. It was almost dark when I left my sig other in the car and ran off across the landscpae with gps and headlamp. Next morning I took her back once I found a road that got us closer than I had been the night betore.
josh

kwalsh
Jayhawker

Post by kwalsh » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:16 pm

Yeah I saw the incident in the papers when it happened two years ago, but I hadn't heard they were looking for the tree.

A common theme in many of the EU deaths every summer in the Mojave is atrociously bad guide books and online material available in the EU. Apparently many don't include any common sense warnings about summer desert travel.

Of course if Germans are even half as dumb as Americans all the warnings in the world wouldn't stop all of the deaths.

I recall from the original report that these poor folks made the fatal error of leaving their vehicle in midday and attempted to walk back up the road. And I thought they were discovered even before nightfall. If they had just stayed with the vehicle they would have survived. Sadly common story.