Author Carlos Castaneda - Death Valley death

Death Valley related discussion
Amalias cousin
Jayhawker

Author Carlos Castaneda - Death Valley death

Post by Amalias cousin » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:11 pm

Carlos Castaneda, the author of the multi-million copy best-seller, The Teachings of Don Juan, died in 1998. Five of his female cult followers vanished a week later. One was my cousin, Amalia Marquez.

Another was Patricia Partin. Her car was found in the Panamint Dunes of Death Valley in 1998. Her bones were found in the dunes in 2003 - verified with DNA in 2006. The other four, including Amalia, have never been found.

Before Castaneda's death, Patricia had been tasked with finding a desert location/mine for their group suicide. We think she may have been trying to join the other four women. They left a few days after Castaneda's death. She left a week later.

Does anyone on this forum know anything about this case? Thanks.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:15 pm

That's kinda spooky. I haven't heard of this before.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Re: Author Carlos Castaneda - Death Valley death

Post by Candace_66 » Thu May 07, 2020 6:33 pm

It's been six years since there were any updates on this situation.

There was some discussion about it in 2014 on this thread: viewtopic.php?t=22439

Did anyone ever get permission to search the mine shafts for possible human remains? I never did understand the bureaucratic wrangling over this.

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Sun May 10, 2020 1:00 am

Candace_66 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 6:33 pm
It's been six years since there were any updates on this situation.

There was some discussion about it in 2014 on this thread: viewtopic.php?t=22439

Did anyone ever get permission to search the mine shafts for possible human remains? I never did understand the bureaucratic wrangling over this.
I remember being at PSR prior to the scheduled search. The patrol rangers and their chief (female, can't remember her name) were there to speak with the family who had arranged the search with cadaver dogs and a mine exploration team. The rangers sadly told the family the search was cancelled. It was pretty sad to see the reaction of the family. They had this conversation inside the restaurant at PSR where it is easy to listen to others when it isn't crowded. That was back when the breakfast buffet was great. I've heard it isn't very good anymore, even before our current COVID WuFlu era.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Mon May 11, 2020 11:46 am

ETAV8R wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:00 am
The rangers sadly told the family the search was canceled. It was pretty sad to see the reaction of the family. They had this conversation inside the restaurant at PSR where it is easy to listen to others when it isn't crowded. That was back when the breakfast buffet was great. I've heard it isn't very good anymore, even before our current COVID WuFlu era.
Fascinating story and color commentary. After discovering Death Valley six or seven years ago the Panamint Dunes and the Big Four Mine were some of the first park locations I visited. Not even being aware of the mine works I just happened upon them while exploring the canyon after I had hiked out to the dunes and back. I stumbled upon the mine works and stuck my head inside a few yards but the air was so heavy and odious that I dared not venture in further. It was bad enough that I thought breathing gear would be necessary to explore the mine to any depth. I'm sure how the search dogs would fare in the mine? I don't think the odor was from human remains. When researching later and learning about the Big Four I wondered if lead dust was causing the "heavy" sensation to the air?

I never knew that the PSR breakfast buffet was great as I've only stopped in twice the past year for their skimpy bare-bones breakfast. Being so isolated I never expected the buffet to be any different. :blah:
Life begins in Death Valley

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Mon May 11, 2020 2:25 pm

PSR has had to adjust with business costs and from what I know they were throwing away too much food. All you can eat eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes, toast, pancakes, gravy...think that's it. All for $10. It was a great deal out there.

GaryW
Jayhawker

Post by GaryW » Mon May 11, 2020 5:19 pm

Back in the day when I ordered breakfast off a menu, or perhaps when i ordered a med-rare miners steak off the dinner menu PSR was a welcome place to be. Those days are gone.
Anyway if the archives are still available from panamintvalley.com/dvtalk they had post about the remains found on the dunes at the time. Don't know as they now have a registration system that I haven't bothered with.
Garyw