Help! Trying to find my friend, left a suicide note

Death Valley related discussion
eledaia
Jayhawker

Help! Trying to find my friend, left a suicide note

Post by eledaia » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:23 pm

This isn't spam, I'm just at my wits end trying to find my friend. He lost his job and his girlfriend broke up with him and he post a suicide note on facebook with photos of his trek into the desert to die of dehydration. He plan is to take three days of water, walk as far as he can and then wait to die. He is from Washington state and bought a car and enough gas with the last of the money he has and took off. My friends and I have been virtually driving all possible routes he may have taken and are matching landscapes to track him. My best guess is that he is in the Death Valley area. Is there anyone here familiar enough to be able to at least give me a road to check the street view and find him? If this violates TOS, please remove. I'm just trying to prevent a suicide. Thanks!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 21a1a6adaa

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 7edf10f9fd

https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... e=55216A6A

eledaia
Jayhawker

Post by eledaia » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:48 pm

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:24 pm

I'm pretty certain it is near the starting point for Indian Pass Canyon, but hopefully somebody can back me up on the location. Your first photo is clearly looking west towards Tucki Mountain. It looks like the photos were taken from the road, so I can't tell if he's heading towards Tucki (west) or Indian Pass (east).

You definitely should contact the park service if you haven't already, I'm sure they'll be able to help you with this. Maybe they can check if a new vehicle has recently been left in that area.

Best of luck on your search.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:32 pm

Two of the images are from around Indian Pass canyon, on the flats just on the east side of 190.
One of them appears to be the classic of looking across Cottonball Basin at Tucki.

One of them is from much further north up the valley, looking south. Not sure of the location but it's on a bit of an alluvial fan, not the flats.

eledaia
Jayhawker

Post by eledaia » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:34 pm

Thanks so much! We have contacted the parks service and local law enforcement. The last two photos were just uploaded a couple of hours ago, so I'm hoping he is still in the area, and in his car. We only know that his car is white because he took a photo while driving and we saw the hood of the car.

Panamint Charlie
Death Valley Resident

Post by Panamint Charlie » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:58 pm

I'm gonna share this at Panamint Valley.com many of the dialy users there work for the park and/or are local residents.

eledaia
Jayhawker

Post by eledaia » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:02 pm

Awesome! Every little bit helps. I'm working with another friend who used to be a bail agent, so he is handling the LE side of things and I'm trying to track his location. The local authorities have been watching his FB and are out looking for him now. I hope we get a call in the morning!

jacknv7
Grubstaker

Post by jacknv7 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:39 am

Why no name, description or link to the persons Facebook page?

eledaia
Jayhawker

Post by eledaia » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:42 pm

Privacy concerns, also we don't want him knowing we are using his photos to find him. This is the last photo update from him. He says the range beyond the two peaks is where he will end it. I don't know if he took this from the road or not, but he is thankfully still driving around and with his vehicle. Anyone recognize those peaks?

https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... e=555BC106

eledaia
Jayhawker

Post by eledaia » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:51 pm

His name is Alfredo, he is from Spokane. His facebook is set to private so only his friends have access? The other guy helping me find him is letting the local authorities either access his FB account to get to the information or is taking screen caps and sending them. Not sure how he is getting the info to them.

eledaia
Jayhawker

Post by eledaia » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:26 pm

Just got the call, local authorities just intercepted him. Thank you guys for your confirmation! It let us know which people to contact!!!

matmiss
Breyfogler

Post by matmiss » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:09 pm

Whew - cuz it's starting to rain and it's gonna keep raining for a while! All you off-roaders out there - beard - it's supposed to be off and on all week - that'll make a mess of the roads!!

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:44 pm

Interesting drama, apparently with a successful resolution. But OK campers, where where those last shots taken?

Dezdan

Post by Dezdan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:29 pm

His photos bounce around, but are a session of him driving up Beatty Cutoff from DV, stopping at various points, walking a few feet off the road and taking a photo. His most recent photos (not posted here) taken 2 hours ago, show him just off the road near DV Buttes pointing to the backside of the Buttes indicating that is the place he wants to end his life...