Mysterious Steel Rebar North of Mesquite Dunes - Details

Death Valley related discussion
Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Wilderness coordinators? Thanks Candace_66 for

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:17 am

those excellent pix. You sure seem to be spot on with the photo overlays. I am amazed that someone bothered to remove the rebar rods and pull out the wire.

I have not heard of "wilderness coordinators" so googling produced this link that describes their cleanup efforts in the park:

https://dvnha.org/news/161-volunteers-m ... ation-fund

I like the idea of cleaning up garbage and restoring recent human impacts but I wonder where they will draw the line on older stuff?

The first of Dec 2015 while driving to PSR (Panamint Springs Resort) past the right hand turn/unpaved access road to the Panamint Dunes parking area, I noticed that two old car carcasses that had been near this intersection were now gone. I bet this was part of the wilderness coordination effort.
Life begins in Death Valley

N0 02
Breyfogler

Post by N0 02 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:46 am

Does this not take some of the mystery out of the wilderness?

I agree that cleaning up garbage/trash is a good thing but some things, while I guess could be trash to someone, are history to me.

Just my opinion.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:03 am

For reasons like this removal, I suggest it is wise to keep specific locations off the public forum. People in the Service do watch these forums avidly to look for things like this (and depending on the person) use it to destroy historical artifacts. It is wise to be careful. PMs are great for sharing locations though!
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Are you kidding me?!

Post by Candace_66 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:32 am

Death Valley Dazed wrote: The first of Dec 2015 while driving to PSR (Panamint Springs Resort) past the right hand turn/unpaved access road to the Panamint Dunes parking area, I noticed that two old car carcasses that had been near this intersection were now gone. I bet this was part of the wilderness coordination effort.
:shock: :roll: Someone really has too much time and volunteer labor on their hands. BTW, those cars have long been used as landmarks for hikers.

I've often heard that anything over 50 years old is considered historic and is legally protected, but a quick search just now isn't coming up with a good reference for that. The Archaeological Resources Protection Act uses 100 years as a standard, which would cover the phone line. Guess I need to do some research.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:52 pm

100 years covers artifacts, but 50 makes it historical.

1974runner
Jayhawker

Post by 1974runner » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:23 am

The old cars out by lake hill? If so that's a shame. Those wear a great part of the landscape.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Old cars by Lake Hill - long gone

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:13 pm

Yup, those two cars are now gone. I loved seeing them there, figuring they had been there for 3-4 decades.

I drove out there specifically to take some dusk and night shots of the two wrecks with different flash lighting effects from the inside and outside of the carcasses. But not now or ever again. Damn!
Life begins in Death Valley

1974runner
Jayhawker

Post by 1974runner » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:14 am

its nice out there
Last edited by 1974runner on Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

DT
Jayhawker

Post by DT » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:12 am

Next will be a sign that says Wilderness Area,No Admittance!

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Re: Old cars by Lake Hill - long gone

Post by D.A. Wright » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:36 pm

Death Valley Dazed wrote:I drove out there specifically to take some dusk and night shots of the two wrecks with different flash lighting effects from the inside and outside of the carcasses. But not now or ever again. Damn!
Pete Aguereberry's old Buick still sitting by his cabin? :neutral:
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:10 pm

D.A. Wright wrote: Pete Aguereberry's old Buick still sitting by his cabin? :neutral:
Who knows, at this point! I won't be out that way anytime soon, maybe someone else will.
DT wrote:Next will be a sign that says Wilderness Area,No Admittance!
Maybe some people are right after all, and that IS the ultimate goal? :evil:

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:25 pm

Candace_66 wrote:
DT wrote:Next will be a sign that says Wilderness Area,No Admittance!
Maybe some people are right after all, and that IS the ultimate goal? :evil:
Could be a phase. Past superintendents of DVNM had a personal philosophy that man's history must be erased from the park and was hell bent to act on it. Witness the removal of Skidoo's buildings above the mill, the removal of Wildrose Station and others by a superintendent in position during the 1960s and early 1970s.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

DT
Jayhawker

Post by DT » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:30 am

My main point is most of Death Valley has been walked over at some point by either prospectors since 1850 or tourist since 1925. You would be Hellbent to find a part of death valley that is actualy wilderness.Yet they remove parts of the history,and then claim areas as Wilderness. :angry:

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:00 am

Curiosity got the better of me and I inquired about the Marble Bird Baths and the cars by the Big Four Mine Road. Here's what I found out:

The researcher from the USGS who installed the dust collection platforms (marble bird baths) retired last year and could not find anyone else to continue the long term dust study. She removed both dust collection platforms over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

The removal of the cars by the Big Four Mine Road was not authorized by the park service, and they didn't seem to be aware that the cars were gone. It sounds like that situation will probably be looked into.
Death Valley named locations map, and my trip reports: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:19 am

Oh wow. I feel a bit sheepish now :lol: