Scrappers

Death Valley related discussion
Arkose
Jayhawker

Scrappers

Post by Arkose » Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:41 pm

hmm... new to the board but since nobody else replied I thought I would.
Never met them, but when working out at 29 palms base I was advised that Yes they do exist and they were the type of folks you absolutely wouldn't want to cross paths with! This was brought on by my question of the lack of signs on the remote portions of the base (i.e. Keep Out - Live Bombing Range). They steal the signs for the aluminum. We were advised to call in any suspicious (scrappers?) people to range control and avoid contact?
-M

Dezdan

Post by Dezdan » Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:08 pm

Welcome to Death-Valley.us Arkose!

Bighorn, scrappers do exist just about any where there is any military base that has a bombing range...

<center>Image</center>

~Dezdan :dezdan:
Last edited by Dezdan on Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

NoKarma4U
Pupfish Wrangler

Scrappers - They're not just for the backcountry anymore.

Post by NoKarma4U » Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:05 am

Used to run into this sort of thing in the Los Angeles (South Central) area when I was working in the environmental industry (that's remediation, not activism ;-) ). Many of our projects involved operating equipment and monitoring many ground water wells, and vadose wells (wells that do not descend to groundwater -- used for vapor extraction). This involved lots of pumps, wiring, and other equipment. Unfortunately, one of our sites (located on an abandoned auto manufacturing plant) was directly across the street from a metals recycling facility (copper & aluminum recycling primarily). Folks would break into our compound regularly and steal the pumps and wiring for their copper (as copper fetched a premium compared to aluminum) and then walk right across the street and cash in. Our field technicians were instructed not to try to intervene if they witnessed any of this activity, but rather to simply report it to the authorities.

Eventually this site turned into one of the more heavily fortified that I have ever seen, including razor wire, motion sensors and electronic perimeter surveilance, and a wireless (cellular, before cellular was the affordable standard it is today) alarm notification system. Ah, the good ol' days.

NoKarma4U
"If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?" - Abraham Lincoln

Bighorn

Post by Bighorn » Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:57 am

Thanks guys, very informative.