Towne Pass Curve Correction project

Death Valley related discussion
Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Towne Pass Curve Correction project

Post by Candace_66 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:22 pm

Did you know there is a proposal to straighten out the several curves that lie just east of Towne Pass? I sure didn't! And the public comment period ended November 9.

Here is a link to the project page. If you go to "Document list", there is a document that details the proposal:

https://parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHom ... ctID=67413

gedstrom
Grubstaker

Post by gedstrom » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:52 am

And it takes a 139 page PDF document to detail what actually isn't that major an undertaking.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:19 pm

gedstrom wrote:And it takes a 139 page PDF document to detail what actually isn't that major an undertaking.
:lol: Big government at work!! This is a Caltrans project after all so I wasn't surprised it was so big, hehe.

gedstrom
Grubstaker

Post by gedstrom » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:32 am

No matter how much you widen the curves, there are going to be people who want to go faster than what is advisable. Towne pass is my usual way to enter the park. I have never considered this area to be much of a problem, either driving a car or my motor-home. So what if I have to slow down just a little?

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:17 pm

Aren't the serious curves before and after the pass, in both directions? On the east side is the flashing "danger curve" sign, that's not the target of this, is it?

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:49 pm

MojaveGeek wrote:Aren't the serious curves before and after the pass, in both directions? On the east side is the flashing "danger curve" sign, that's not the target of this, is it?
I think that is part of this, judging by the little map.

I need to look at the document some more because now I'm wondering if the dip will also be fixed? That is actually kinda fun. ;-)

Aedwards27
Grubstaker

Post by Aedwards27 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:02 am

Candace_66 wrote:
MojaveGeek wrote:Aren't the serious curves before and after the pass, in both directions? On the east side is the flashing "danger curve" sign, that's not the target of this, is it?

I need to look at the document some more because now I'm wondering if the dip will also be fixed? That is actually kinda fun. ;-)
I love the dip! Don't take it away!

Grzldvt
Breyfogler

Post by Grzldvt » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:45 am

Keep in mind you have a lot of flatlanders that are panicked over the mountainous curvy roads. The only time I ever had a problem was a few years ago, where I did a car show in Laughlin NV, and cut through Death Valley while driving a Corvette and a major storm came in and it seriously snowed several miles before and after Towne Pass. Had a motor home making tracks I could follow in until they got to the top and pulled over. Yikes!!! Was pretty dicey coming down 5-10mph max and sliding around, would like to have that part. at that time straightened out ;-)

Lizz
Breyfogler

Post by Lizz » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:18 am

Aedwards27 wrote:
Candace_66 wrote:

I love the dip, too! Every time I go over it I hear my kids when they were little " Do it again! Do it again!"
At either end of the social spectrum there lies a leisure class.
http://www.lizzbartlett.com

Grzldvt
Breyfogler

Post by Grzldvt » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:34 pm

Lizz wrote:
Aedwards27 wrote:
Candace_66 wrote:

I love the dip, too! Every time I go over it I hear my kids when they were little " Do it again! Do it again!"
Watched a Lincoln full of people going well over the speed limit hit the dips, and I knew they were coming, seeing them bouncing around in teh car was hilarious. Was not dangerous at all but my friend and I had a good laugh. :lol:

gedstrom
Grubstaker

Post by gedstrom » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:11 am

I don't have a specific memory of the dip. I will have to take note on my next trip before it goes away. I hope to go before Christmas for a few days.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:15 pm

I mostly remember the dips down on the long straightway as the road heads to SPW. Most fun :)

shane
Breyfogler

Post by shane » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:48 pm

same here mojavegeek, i like to hit those at top speed :lol:

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:08 am

The dip is just east of the big Curve sign. Neither of those will be removed or affected by this project, which just removes some squiggly old pavement near the summit.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

Panamint Charlie
Death Valley Resident

Post by Panamint Charlie » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:29 pm

I've got some dashcam footage of my last time through there after a car hit the dip, got squirrelly, hit the outcropping on the right shoulder and then flipped into the oncoming lane.