Latest Storm Is Hitting Hard

Death Valley related discussion
TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:20 pm

Death Valley Dazed wrote:
TacoLand wrote: Too bad about your back, so looks like I'll have come to the rescue and replace you and take the tour with your girlfriend. PM me your ticket/reservation please!

Just kidding you TacoLand. I do hope you recover enough to take the tour and return and report here your labors of the Death Valley Days.
Thanks for the kind offer, Dazed! Fortunately the doctor was able to give me a shot in the ass and a bottle of pills, so I've got a little relief for the time being.

I'm also kind of an idiot when it comes to listening to my body so I'll be toughing it out no matter what. Two weeks before I had back surgery in 2015 I did the overnight 25-mile roundtrip slog to Upper Big Fall Canyon, followed up by more hiking in Trail Canyon.

Hopefully this time I do a trip report of some sort. Cheers!

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Re: Pictures

Post by wbdeford » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:45 am

TrailHound wrote:
MojaveGeek wrote:Please tell us about it and share pix after, assuming you're allowed to.
When we took the tour, the ranger (now retired Charlie Callagan) made a point of saying take all the pictures you want, but don't put them on the internet. He didn't want to see any pictures on somebody's Facebook page. In spite of the security measures, I don't know if the park can handle an assault by determined fossil collectors. As somebody once said, there are a lot of yahoos out there. It's why we can't have anything nice.
Why do they care if you post pictures as long as you don't say where they are?

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:38 am

wbdeford wrote:
TrailHound wrote:
MojaveGeek wrote:Please tell us about it and share pix after, assuming you're allowed to.
When we took the tour, the ranger (now retired Charlie Callagan) made a point of saying take all the pictures you want, but don't put them on the internet. He didn't want to see any pictures on somebody's Facebook page. In spite of the security measures, I don't know if the park can handle an assault by determined fossil collectors. As somebody once said, there are a lot of yahoos out there. It's why we can't have anything nice.
Why do they care if you post pictures as long as you don't say where they are?
Maybe they're hoping that the less info out there the more safe they'll be. The NPS request might have also changed as I found at least two extensive photo documentations of ______ Canyon and the tour posted in the last year or two. If they say anything during the tour I'll try to relay the current message.

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Re: Storms

Post by ETAV8R » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:28 pm

wbdeford wrote: Not necessarily.....I read that last year's big bloom likely depleted the supply of seeds that had built up over several years.
^^^This^^^

BTW those sat websites are great!
Deep Springs Valley is even covered in snow. Amazing!
Last edited by ETAV8R on Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:09 am

wbdeford wrote:Why do they care if you post pictures as long as you don't say where they are?
Because people aren't dumb and can figure out where things are based on geological features. I for one specifically found an Indian site based on one trip report from the net. Nothing was said about the location but I used the hills in the photos and found the location. With all the jackasses vandalizing sites we all seem to care about there is no need for more photos.

On one trip I was invited on the offer was made to be shown some petroglyphs. The offer included the statement that should I be careless and post photos that could give away the location there would be no further invitations.

Inyo
Jayhawker

Post by Inyo » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:43 am

TrailHound wrote:
Here's a YouTube video published on December 6, 2010 (by a person who goes by the cyber-handle, Buffalo1946) featuring a hike through Copper Canyon (the world-famous Pliocene-age mammal and bird track locality) in Death Valley National Park, led by Charley Callagan--who appears in a still shot at the 3:35 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUbdzCYQZoI

I have lots of photographs of fossils and paleontological localities I've encountered within Death Valley National Park over at my page "Fossils In Death Valley National Park" at http://inyo.coffeecup.com/site/dv/dvfossils.htm .

gedstrom
Grubstaker

Post by gedstrom » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:21 am

wbdeford wrote: Why do they care if you post pictures as long as you don't say where they are?
Because people familiar with the park can probably figure out the location with surprisingly little context shown in the picture.

Grzldvt
Breyfogler

Post by Grzldvt » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:53 am

gedstrom wrote:
wbdeford wrote: Why do they care if you post pictures as long as you don't say where they are?
Because people familiar with the park can probably figure out the location with surprisingly little context shown in the picture.
I was able to locate a "secret location" based on a single picture, but respected the author and this forums request to keep it unnamed and off the web