So long, Furnace Creek Resort

Death Valley related discussion
jacknv7
Grubstaker

So long, Furnace Creek Resort

Post by jacknv7 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:45 pm

From Xanterra...

Furnace Creek Resort is now The Oasis at Death Valley. Learn about our name change and ongoing renaissance in this Los Angeles Times exclusive!

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la- ... story.html

http://www.oasisatdeathvalley.com/

gedstrom
Grubstaker

Post by gedstrom » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:42 pm

Sounds like it is going to be even more expensive than it already is! I think I will stick with my senior rate for my RV in Sunset Campground!

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Re: So long, Furnace Creek Resort

Post by wbdeford » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:19 pm

jacknv7 wrote:From Xanterra...

Furnace Creek Resort is now The Oasis at Death Valley. Learn about our name change and ongoing renaissance in this Los Angeles Times exclusive!

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la- ... story.html

http://www.oasisatdeathvalley.com/
I thought it was:

Furnace Creek Inn
Furnace Creek Ranch
Panamint Springs Resort

Didn't know there was a Furnace Creek Resort.

I guess it makes sense to put Death Valley in the name since the average person has never heard of Furnace Creek.

jacknv7
Grubstaker

Post by jacknv7 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:32 am

One would think it would be easier to just have one name for all the Xanterra Furnace Creek properties.

1926 the Pacific Coast Borax Company began construction on the inn and it opened in 1927.
1966 the Fred Harvey Company purchased the Death Valley hotels from U.S. Borax.
1968 AMFAC (now Xanterra) Parks & Resorts bought the Fred Harvey Company which included the Furnace Creek Inn & Ranch Resort.

desertdryad
Breyfogler

Post by desertdryad » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:46 pm

Those .. PRICES! (shudder) I'll stick to the back of my vehicle...

Aedwards27
Grubstaker

Post by Aedwards27 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:36 pm

desertdryad wrote:Those .. PRICES! (shudder) I'll stick to the back of my vehicle...
Same here. Wow.

That is quite a price hike.

Then again, FCR/The Inn are not my type of setting. If I stay indoors I go to Stovepipe.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:17 am

desertdryad wrote:Those .. PRICES! (shudder) I'll stick to the back of my vehicle...
Yeah, they've really priced the average person completely out of it. Even at SPW the lowest price I see is $144. At PSR you can get a room next Wednesday for $84.

Bivy, ground pad, sleeping bag, and stars for me.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:27 am

Wow I hadn't realized FC had gotten so expensive. Well it comes with the territory, not unusual for rooms within a national park to be rather out of line with the general area. Many folks I know who don't want to camp stay in Beatty. It's a bit of a drive into the park from there, though. I've been staying at SPW for years myself, unless I haul my camping gear out on the flight from the East coast. Fortunately, I've been able to afford the price increases, in part because flights to LV are often pretty cheap, and we bring most of our own food out. PSR is much cheaper and in general a better vibe, though the rooms are smaller. Again you spend a fair amount of time driving over Towne Pass, but there's lots and lots to do in the Panamint Valley.

I'm at a point in my life where time is a bigger deal than money, often, and two hours less driving means two hours more hiking before dark, and that's generally why I am out there.

gedstrom
Grubstaker

Post by gedstrom » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:29 am

While the price difference is far less now, I remember a time several years ago when the price of gas in Beatty was $2.01 LOWER than the price at Furnace Creek!

TrailHound
Grubstaker

FC Inn

Post by TrailHound » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:00 am

We have been staying in Beatty for several years. The Atomic Inn is a good place to stay. Eating choices are really limited, though. Sourdough Saloon and the Mexican place are closed. Denny's is nasty. Mel's is good, but not open at night. KC's is also good, but has only pizza and sandwiches.

desertdryad
Breyfogler

Post by desertdryad » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:17 am

I now travel to DV from AZ, and I have stayed at Tecopa Hot Springs Resort, since it is 'East side'. Affordable prices, very friendly folks running the place. The cabins are Hell in the hot season (from my experience); I hear the motel rooms are in better condition than the cabins. The Hot springs are nothing to write home about, but it's a peaceful spot and not too far from the park. I think there is a cafe open in the cooler months, but not much else around! Depending on one's needs, though, it's worth a look into.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:41 pm

desertdryad wrote:I now travel to DV from AZ, and I have stayed at Tecopa Hot Springs Resort, since it is 'East side'. Affordable prices, very friendly folks running the place. The cabins are Hell in the hot season (from my experience); I hear the motel rooms are in better condition than the cabins. The Hot springs are nothing to write home about, but it's a peaceful spot and not too far from the park. I think there is a cafe open in the cooler months, but not much else around! Depending on one's needs, though, it's worth a look into.
My wife and I stayed at Tecopa in April 2016....the food at the cafe is very good, and we loved the China Ranch date farm nearby.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:38 am

Shoshone is nearby to Tecopa and I like the Red Buggy Cafe / Crow Bar. We used it as a base the year the national park was closed due to government shutdown.

And from the China Ranch you can walk down to the Amaragosa. It's pretty down there but a tough walk when it's hot, even if you reward yourself with a date shake afterwards :)

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:09 pm

MojaveGeek wrote:Shoshone is nearby to Tecopa and I like the Red Buggy Cafe / Crow Bar. We used it as a base the year the national park was closed due to government shutdown.

And from the China Ranch you can walk down to the Amaragosa. It's pretty down there but a tough walk when it's hot, even if you reward yourself with a date shake afterwards :)
Yes, those date shakes are good!

windbreaker
Jayhawker

Furnace Creek Inn.

Post by windbreaker » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:58 pm

NOT a place for YOU and I to stay... HOWEVER... The last time that the Wife and I we're in the park.... WE attended a seminar (for lack of a better term) on nuclear waste disposal given by the NPS...

We noticed that the vehicle driven by the NPS rep was parked in the FCI parking lot for THREE DAYS..... Guess where OUR BETTERS stay ???? Compliments of US... IMHO !!