NOTICE: DV.net will be down for a few days starting 9/17 while some forum software modifications are made.

Major Fee Increase at other parks

Death Valley related discussion
wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Major Fee Increase at other parks

Post by wbdeford » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:57 am

DV isn't on the list, but the park service is proposing an increase of the vehicle fee to $70 at 17 national parks:

https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1207/10-24-201 ... oposal.htm

CanyonmanClark
Jayhawker

Post by CanyonmanClark » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:55 am

They need the money, but this is ridiculous. Congress should get off their corrupt behinds and actually fund the darn parks!

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:07 am

That is ridiculous but maybe they are intentionally trying to slow visitation and/or are reacting to the recent increase of visitation for all parks.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:10 am

ETAV8R wrote:That is ridiculous but maybe they are intentionally trying to slow visitation and/or are reacting to the recent increase of visitation for all parks.
That is one of the criticisms....that it will limit visitation, mostly from lower income people.

The "per vehicle" fee system has never made much sense to me. A van with 12 people comes in for the same price as a car with 1 person.

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:54 am

Decrease services, increase fees, make the NPS out to be the bad guy. Tank public opinion so it's way easier to sell the land off to 3rd parties for "resource development."

TrailHound
Grubstaker

Park fees

Post by TrailHound » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:16 pm

The Congress is too busy giving millionaires a $1.5 trillion tax cut that will be paid for by borrowing from China to properly fund the national park system.

kwalsh
Jayhawker

Post by kwalsh » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:56 pm

wbdeford wrote: The "per vehicle" fee system has never made much sense to me. A van with 12 people comes in for the same price as a car with 1 person.
To be fair in many parks it is in fact vehicles and not people that are having the biggest impact. That's why many parks have banned vehicles entirely and gone with shuttle buses during peak visitation times.

Of course you can still get a year pass to all the parks for $80 so I don't see how this $70 fee is really going to change anything for people that do a tour of the western parks on a month long vacation from Europe and already buy the pass. As suggested this will probably mostly impact lower income folks who only have the opportunity to visit one park a year.

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:01 am

Yeah the $80/yr is a great deal still. In Kommiefornia our state park annual pass $200 and doesn't cover all parks. Most but not all.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:29 pm

kwalsh wrote:To be fair in many parks it is in fact vehicles and not people that are having the biggest impact. That's why many parks have banned vehicles entirely and gone with shuttle buses during peak visitation times....
Indeed... Most visitors to any Park, etc. don't wander very far from their vehicle or the shuttle.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:16 am

My initial reaction was to say that this will keep lower income people out of the park. But I'm not so sure of that. You don't really meet a lot of working class people out there taking vacation and traveling around - they don't have the money or the luxury to take time off. So possibly this is a progressive tax. In some of the parks (e.g. Zion) a lot of the usage is from locals in the area, and they tend to be repeat visitors, so I don't mind hitting them up to support the parks. And then there are foreigners and getting them to help out is not a bad idea either.

I'd certainly rather see the federal budget include more money for protection of natural resources but it's not going to happen given the size of our defense budget and inability to keep more urgent things fixed.

It is true that many parks are being loved to death. Fortunately for us here, there are miles and miles of wild and empty places in DV and that is probably why most of us here love it. In other parks, not so true. I'm a regular at Zion but just stay out of the canyon, except for say a very early morning jaunt up to Angels' Landing. There's just too many people. But, shh, there are many places even in Zion where you can spend a day in solitude in beautiful country as well. And as Candace notes, just get a mile from pavement and even in the busiest parks you'll avoid crowds.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Re: Major Fee Increase at other parks

Post by Gowergulch42 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:34 am

If this passes, I won't be able to afford to go to Rainier or Olympic (the two closest to me), even though I work hard and have free time. I work and study for a living, and I don't see how that is a progressive tax. Those are supposed to work the other way, but other than that a very spot-on analysis Mojave.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Re: Major Fee Increase at other parks

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:44 pm

There is an annual pass which is currently $80 (assuming you're not over 62 years to get the senior pass). This makes the proposed fee increases very strange. For a few bucks more, get an annual pass. Even with the current rates, if you visit a park more than about 3x/year the annual pass is a good deal. Plus the annual pass gets you into almost all BLM and National Forest sites as well (though somehow they can still charge for "special" things like the parking area for the Wave in Utah)