NOTICE: DV.net will be down for a few days starting 9/24 while some forum software modifications are made.

Unusual Clouds Today!

Death Valley related discussion
wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Unusual Clouds Today!

Post by wbdeford » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:27 pm

Check out today's satellite image. Clear skies over the Panamints, most of the Black Mountains, Spring Mountains, Inyo Mountains, etc, but clouds (fog?) covering Death Valley and Saline Valley.

http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/ind ... ution=250m

Scroll about 2/3 of the way to the right on the image

Here is lower resolution:

http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/ind ... tion=2000m

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Re: Unusual Clouds Today!

Post by wbdeford » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:35 pm

And it looks like the south end of the Racetrack is flooded....hopefully some rock movement will be coming soon, and idiots stay away.

EDIT: Later, clearer images don't show what I thought I saw at the Racetrack
Last edited by wbdeford on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:28 pm

:-?
Not seeing what you're seeing.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:24 am

After looking at a later, clearer image, it appears I was wrong about the Racetrack...sorry about that.

Here is the relevant portion of the image to avoid having to pull the whole large one:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... c92a13bcfe

bluegreen kayak
Jayhawker

Post by bluegreen kayak » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:39 am

Just curious out here in Omaha - did Death Valley get much rain this week? My son in nearby Ridgecrest said they had some flooding there.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:26 pm

bluegreen kayak wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:39 am
Just curious out here in Omaha - did Death Valley get much rain this week? My son in nearby Ridgecrest said they had some flooding there.
Official measurement I saw was 0.46" at Furnace Creek.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:24 pm

This is getting more strange. It seems, if I believe the satellite images, that those clouds have been essentially parked there for a week:

Today's image, you can see the small white area at the top over the Saline Valley, Racetrack, etc, and the larger one on the left over the San Jaoquin Valley. If you step back through them day by day, the clouds are still there--and also for San Jaoquin

(You can step through them using Next Day and Previous Day buttons)

1 week ago:

Is there a weather phenomenon that would explain clouds in these areas over that long a period, while generally sunny everywhere else?

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:06 am

I posted this to the Saline Valley board and someone posted a couple of pics. Would seem to be fog for many days:

http://forum.salinepreservation.org/pos ... 1302981317

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:56 am

From the photo on the Saline forum, it appears to me to be an inversion. As in cold air is trapped in the basin, warmer air above. Inversions are often acompanied by low clouds and fog. It is common in such places as Reno, Mono Basin and I’ve seen it often even in Trona.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:41 pm

The surprising thing is that it lingered for days and days.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:37 am

With no incoming storms to sweep it out, it will linger and often the clouds thicken, which trap ever colder air. Inversions tend to be self perpetuating in high pressure and calm conditions. Until the next storm system or pressure changes that create winds to sweep it out.

Such is the case in the Mono Basin. Back in the 1970’s and 1980’s, when I lived in June Lake and worked for the county, it would be sunny and travelling to Lee Vining it would be foggy and no sun visible. I wouldn’t realize the depressing effect until gaining elevation on US395 and climbing out of the fog and back into the bright sunshine and my spirits lifted again. During the early 1980s there was a year or two of dry winters. The fog in the Basin would thicken to the point where some of it would get into June Lake. After a storm system would come in and sweep the Basin clear again, fog would quickly rebuild and the process repeat.

When I worked in Trona, I remember a spell of about two weeks one winter where it was overcast with a low cloud ceiling. I drove up to the communications towers at the north end of the Slate Range, where I was above the clouds. It was pretty much a scene as that photo on the Saline forum, with exception of the discharge from the power plant stack, which looked akin to boiling mud erupting through the clouds.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:25 am

That seems to be exactly what happened in SV. I think wind blew through on the 19th and cleared it out. Always happy to learn something new about the DVNP environment.