Combing Mesquite Sand Dunes For Artifacts

Death Valley related discussion
Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Combing Mesquite Sand Dunes For Artifacts

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:03 am

OK, which group of you was out there and got busted on video breaking national park rules?

Life begins in Death Valley

Aedwards27
Breyfogler

Re: Combing Mesquite Sand Dunes For Artifacts

Post by Aedwards27 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:31 pm

Hahahaha!

Funnily enough, at one point there would've been some artifacts out there. They've been long-gone since the 30s though.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:15 pm

There was some mention of the old Rhyolite / Skidoo phone line. I found it back in there. Has it been removed? It is fun to find in the various places I've seen it, and of course there are ploles in the Kit Fox Hills canyon immediately up from the road to the old well site.

Aedwards27
Breyfogler

Post by Aedwards27 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:36 am

MojaveGeek wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:15 pm
There was some mention of the old Rhyolite / Skidoo phone line. I found it back in there. Has it been removed? It is fun to find in the various places I've seen it, and of course there are ploles in the Kit Fox Hills canyon immediately up from the road to the old well site.

The phone line is still there!

However, back in the 1920s/30s there were still remnants from the Timbisha villages on the perimeter of the dunes (baskets etc.) Those are long gone. Some were excavated and kept, the rest were looted.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:14 pm

Wow those would have been really cool to stumble upon! I like the area behind the dunes, on the north side, it is not very heavily visited at all. A nice shuttle hike from SPW to the well site.