Death Valley Strava Map

Death Valley related discussion
bbb
Jayhawker

Death Valley Strava Map

Post by bbb » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:46 pm

There's been a little bit in the news recently about the Strava Global Heatmap. Apparently some armed forces stationed at unacknowledged U.S. military installations have been wearing their Fitbits and other related GPS-enabled fitness gear and uploading location data to Strava. This, in the aggregate, has created detailed layouts of said installations when viewed with Strava map.

But what about Death Valley -- are there any surprising routes that become apparent?

Here is Furnace Creek (or whatever it's called now). To the east, you can see hikers using Funeal Slot Canyon.

Badwater, where someone was trying to write "MADDISON"

FInally, the Ractrack...

What do you see in the map...https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#15.01/ ... 80/hot/all

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Learning about Strava

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:30 am

Sorry about my uninformed POV as Strava is new to me. I assume that white is the hottest, yellow is very warm red is warm and brown and black is cool and coolest?

Strava detects human body warmth, thus the tracks up the Funeral Slots and across the Racetrack and the hikers up Ubehebe Peak?

Are Strava images time exposure to time lapse?

How are those arrays of all over the Racetrack explained?

And is MADDISON a deliberate ploy to be noticed by Strava as a satelite type selfie? Whoever did that must have had a GPS device to keep those lines straight and symetrical?

Thanks for sharing those cool images.
Life begins in Death Valley

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Re: Death Valley Strava Map

Post by TacoLand » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:08 am

Nice find on the "MADDISON" ... not quite as grandiose as this use of the technology, though! (Slightly NSFW?)

I've used it pretty extensively down in the park, except in areas where requested by the Park Service to make any sort of documentation. Looks like I might have been the only person to Strava Sand Canyon last year. Hoo-ray. Looks like a few things I'm planning to do in March aren't exactly unknown either. Kind of a cool resource, thanks for sharing.

And for those asking ... Strava just takes your GPS coordinates you log from an activity and transposes them over a map. It has nothing to do with human body warmth (??), nor does it detect anything. Areas are "hottest" that have the most repeat traffic.

Aedwards27
Breyfogler

Post by Aedwards27 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:09 pm

Correct, the "heat" corresponds with traffic.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:27 pm

Wow, there is some fascinating data there, thanks for posting the link! BTW I'm guessing that the app lets you view only your own tracks, else the MADISSON would be a bit strange. But it's a great way to see where people do, and don't, go. No traffic to Keane? So people obeyed that prohibition? Interesting. A number of folks crossed the valley on the salt flats. I'm surprised. Also at the traffic up Telescope from the valley side, that's a damned long climb. I'm glad that a few spots I know don't show traffic, but of course that just means that no Strava user went there. Lots of traffic up Fall Canyon!

Aedwards27
Breyfogler

Post by Aedwards27 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:59 pm

MojaveGeek wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:27 pm
Wow, there is some fascinating data there, thanks for posting the link! BTW I'm guessing that the app lets you view only your own tracks, else the MADISSON would be a bit strange. But it's a great way to see where people do, and don't, go. No traffic to Keane? So people obeyed that prohibition? Interesting. A number of folks crossed the valley on the salt flats. I'm surprised. Also at the traffic up Telescope from the valley side, that's a damned long climb. I'm glad that a few spots I know don't show traffic, but of course that just means that no Strava user went there. Lots of traffic up Fall Canyon!
I thought the same re: places I didn't want others to be going to in huge droves!

It looks like someone took the old trail from 190 to China garden Spring as well, I'm going to do that one in March.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:57 am

This map generally looks a little biased. Some of the more adventurous routes, like Lake Hill to Panamint Butte, show only two, four, or six tracks. Given as popular as Strava is, as few as one party could have made some of these hot trails. Of course, with sometimes over a million visitors a year, certain routes are bound to get hit more often!
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:14 pm

I'm really liking this one. Of course it is likely to be biased toward the adventuresome and just because no Strava user went someplace doesn't mean that no one went there at all. It does show, to me, that people get out and off the beaten track a bit more than I might have guessed.

Panamint Butte is a DPS peak I think but still that's a good 4000 ft climb, which keeps traffic down. It's interesting how people take varied routes up Corkscrew, which all converge up the ridge. We wandered a bit last year till we got onto the clear main route. And there's a bunch of people taking the various mining trails that come over a little SW of the main ridge, below Little Corkscrew. I have not gone in that way but I want to at some point. I tried getting there by walking the ridge from Hells Gate a few years ago, but ran out of time. Nice ridge walk though!

John Morrow
Jayhawker

Post by John Morrow » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:39 am

Who here uses Strava? Why?

TrailHound
Grubstaker

Post by TrailHound » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:20 am

John Morrow wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:39 am
Who here uses Strava? Why?
https://www.strava.com/

Personally, I wouldn't take one as a gift, but that's just me.

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:32 pm

TrailHound wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:20 am
Personally, I wouldn't take one as a gift, but that's just me.
You wouldn't take one as a gift? You realize it's an App, that runs on a plethora of devices, right?

I use Strava to track all of my road cycling and hikes. For the road cycling it's to keep an eye on my progress throughout the season. For hiking it's just fun to log where I've been. It's all for personal use & motivation. Also have used it to find some great cycling loops in areas I'm not familiar with.