Get outta my way - speeding into Panamint Valley

Death Valley related discussion
Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Get outta my way - speeding into Panamint Valley

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:20 am

Not even the park rangers can catch me when I'm in a hurry returning to my favorite national park. That high tech Air Force drone had trouble keeping up with my tail. Sorry if I ran any of you, my friends, here at Death-Valley.net off of the highway in my desperate drive to the desert and PSR! Click here and then again on the play tab.

https://www.dropshots.com/whitesalamand ... 1/12:02:07
Life begins in Death Valley

N0 02
Breyfogler

Re: Get outta my way - speeding into Panamint Valley

Post by N0 02 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:31 am

You were going so fast you forgot to stop to pick me up. :D

Have fun.

Grzldvt
Jayhawker

Post by Grzldvt » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:10 am

Well, I have to admit, I am guilty of triple digit speeds in the Panamint Valley on a weekday when no one was within miles of me.
Normally I don't go that fast but with no one in sight, why not stretch it out to see what the car can do. Funny thing, I saw an older Ford Pickup coming at me and I took my foot off of it. I noticed the passenger was sitting awfully high, when we got close she pulled up her shirt :lol: I was so shocked and going too fast to stop, turn around and chase them down.
But I was driving this:

N0 02
Breyfogler

Post by N0 02 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:14 am

Nice DV exploration vehicle. I have a Z06 with the same CCW sp 16a wheels. Nice looking car pictured in a beautiful spot.

So are you going to admit what speed you saw before something flashed before your eyes? :D

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:11 pm

Booby traps in PV. What is the world coning to ... :roll: :lol:
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Grzldvt
Jayhawker

Post by Grzldvt » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:21 am

N0 02 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:14 am
Nice DV exploration vehicle. I have a Z06 with the same CCW sp 16a wheels. Nice looking car pictured in a beautiful spot.

So are you going to admit what speed you saw before something flashed before your eyes? :D
Nice, loved the 16A's lots of compliments.
That is a 2005 #551 off the line.
To answer your speed question, I was around 130 and building, when I saw the truck coming at me and backed off, I think I was at 95 when they went by. What was amazing is how stable it was at those speeds. I felt I had total control and the car was incredibly smooth, just things were going by faster than normal. I was out of Trona by the infamous Country Club and before the downhill into the PV. Once I dropped down into the Valley I was much more conservative at 65-75 mph, and when I arrived at DV observed the speed limits. Don;t want people to think I am an out of control Rube. :D
I did take it up to the Charcoal Kilns. Did a little gravel plowing, but not a problem....
D.A. Wright wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:11 pm
LOL... This one I will never forget as long as I live. Might even put something on my tombstone about it.

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:47 am

D.A. Wright wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:11 pm
Too funny. One of my earliest memories was making the trek out to the Black Rock Desert with my dad. Right about Gerlach we passed an old pickup going the opposite direction with no one in the cab .... just a dog driving with his two front paws on top of the steering wheel.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:26 am

TacoLand wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:47 am
One of my earliest memories was making the trek out to the Black Rock Desert with my dad. Right about Gerlach we passed an old pickup going the opposite direction with no one in the cab .... just a dog driving with his two front paws on top of the steering wheel.
Shhh ... top secret testing of the new autonomous vehicles for next year’s Burning Man ... :dezdan:
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:31 pm

Grzldvt wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:10 am
when we got close she pulled up her shirt
Thanks for keeping us abreast of those racy situations in the Panamint Valley. With that beauty of a Corvette, you may have passed up a low flying jet or two above you!

Grzldvt
Jayhawker

Post by Grzldvt » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:53 am

Oh man I did not, well before that, my friend and I were just coming into the Panamint Valley on a Monday afternoon. All of a sudden we saw fighter jets playing around the the Valley. OK, very cool, I was driving an 85 Corvette. They played around in the valley and if you were there you saw two dudes all over the road trying to keep track of them, looking upo.
As we progressed down the road, one of them came down so close to me, in my Vette I could see the rivets on the plane. Then they took off and played around. "As we progressed to the end of the Valley and made the turn up to Trona, we stopped at the head of the valley to see what would happen. They came flying down the Valley right at us at a very low altitude, just got to us, and went almost straight up, did the wave and headed back to China Lake.
Neither one of us had any film leftto record the event...

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:21 am

Grzldvt wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:53 am
Neither one of us had any film left to record the event...
Well, at least the event is recorded in your mind. Now if we could only download your mind to this forum. However, that would keep the moderators busy for years censoring most of the content :lol:

Seriously, what a cool experience!

Grzldvt
Jayhawker

Post by Grzldvt » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:37 am

Yes, will never forget it, and want my kids to put it on my tombstone.... Someday the forum will be able to download our minds :lol: , but not this week and yes you are right the censors would be incredibly busy :smile: