Forum Overload - seeking old timer perspective

Death Valley related discussion
Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Forum Overload - seeking old timer perspective

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:14 am

I noticed that Candace_66 notified us that Panamint Charlie is back up. I was about to register there as well but stopped to come here asking for advice, wisdom, and experience from those who have been around here much longer than me - about 3-4 years now.

My context is being registered here, DesertUSA, reddit/r/deathvalley and having a YouTube channel Death Valley Dazed devoted solely to DV content that is not copyrighted and public domain user-friendly. I tend to post a lot after each trip to DV, so sorry about the recent avalanche of videos.

I wish to be a contributing and worthwhile member of each forum but don't want to be dumping or overloading the forums with my own personal content. I like to post regarding general newsworthy or at least curiosity-inducing issues and links to my trip report videos. I also love reading every single post that pops up here even if I don't reply to each one. I've learned so much about Death Valley from many of you over the years and thanks for that!

If you were me, would you also register at Panamint Charlie? Would you also register at the forum that focusses on The Saline Valley? (I forget the name of that one?) Are there some other forums that you would recommend.
Life begins in Death Valley

netllama
Grubstaker

Re: Forum Overload - seeking old timer perspective

Post by netllama » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:06 pm

FWIW, I'm a member on both forums (and have been for a long time). Personally, I prefer this one by a large margin. Content quality tends to be much greater here. The other forum is rather clique-ish, with a much lower signal to noise ratio.

Randy O
Jayhawker

Post by Randy O » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:00 am

I am signed up to all 3 of the forums you mentioned here but don't usually post unless I have something to say. Certainly it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and join, whether you contribute or not, you can get info from each that may or may not be available on the other ones.

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:13 am

I've been a member over on PV for 3+ years now, and a lurker for longer. I find that I keep an eye on it for more social means, and follow this website for more technical needs. BS Banter over on PV, Trip Reports and help on DV. More than enough to keep me happy. Oh yeah, also poke around Saline Valley Talk from time to time, but usually only if I'm rolling through that way.

bluegreen kayak
Jayhawker

Post by bluegreen kayak » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:37 pm

I enjoy your videos and am glad you post them all. They're a consolation since I don't live out West and can only make a few trips yearly. Thanks!

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:52 am

I’ve been a member of this forum since 2006, and its predicessor since around 1999 to 2000. I joined the Panamint Valley forum after the original version of this forum went offline and before Dez resurrected it to become this one. I’m also a member of the Death Valley Talk forum, Explore Forums and 4WDTrips.net (the latter two more general and not geographically focused).

I enjoy all three for what they are. I’d say a high percentage of each DV focused forum are members of all. Some focus on different activities in and around the region (such as this one seems to have a heavier hiking preference). Each has evolved and settled into their present status over the years, having survived heavy impact by modern forms of social media like Facebook.

These forums have their roots in the early days of modern internet. DV Talk used to be a wild, no holds barred free for all with a goofy format (a long, disjointed thread tree with many limbs and branches in ascending order, making following a discussion akin to mining via tunneling to find and follow the vein), and a membership that often loved a good fight. This forum was in its original form was a place where historians, authors and researchers like me gathered and shared ideas, opinions and information; often later meeting in person and formed offline friendships as well. Panamint Valley (aka Panamint Charlie) has an ecclectic membership. Many have also created offline friendships and maintain those by two annual gatherings (with fluctuating attendence), as well as other smaller trips arranged and paricipated in by a few members, the majority based at Panamint Springs Resort.

The forums are an older form of social media, thus have had their ups and downs as well as cyclical participation based upon the trends of the hour forced upon modern life lived through today’s social media. Those members I have met as well as what I percieve are older, most often middle age and older, thus comfortable with these forums. As for me, I don’t embrace Facebook and its kin. My history with the forums ran the gammut from heavy sharing of historical information, to a bombastic soapbox orator. In the past few years I’ve toned it down a lot and speak occasionally though I read and observe as often as I can get into town with my iPad to use the library wifi (no internet at home).

So having said that, my recommendation would be to join, as there is no peeking at PV.com due to its membership only set up. It won’t bite. You will note a large presence of those you already know here. And watch it for a while and see how you can fit in and become part of the culture of that site.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Re: Forum Overload - thanks for summary

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:59 pm

D.A. Wright, et al., thanks for the valuable feedback and wisdom. Some of you might see sporadic action on my part over at PV and SV.
Life begins in Death Valley