NOTICE: DV.net will be down for a few days starting 9/24 while some forum software modifications are made.

Hiking Death Valley - Second Edition

Death Valley related discussion
wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Hiking Death Valley - Second Edition

Post by wbdeford » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:56 am

Has anyone bought the second edition of Hiking Death Valley? I'm wondering if there is enough in there that is not already in the 1st edition or Hiking Western Death Valley to justify a purchase.

Rockhopper
Jayhawker

Re: Hiking Death Valley - Second Edition

Post by Rockhopper » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:34 am

I have the second edition, but not the first. Michael Digonnet says, in the acknowledgements to the second, that additions include "...Moonlight Canyon and Funeral Slot Canyon, and the unlikely dunes in Sand Canyon." I don't know what other additions he made. The second is 546 pages long, if that says anything.

shane
Breyfogler

Post by shane » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:09 am

Added to 2nd edition: Moonlight cyn, Wahguyhe Peak, Thimble Peak, Funeral Slot, Mount Perry, Ubehebe crater, Towne peak, Butte Valley, Needle Peak, Telescope Peak, section on the Owlsheads (Contact cyn, Sand cyn, Manganese Ridge, Lost Lake, Owl Peak, Crystal Hills)

Subtracted from 1st edition: Nevares springs & peak, Lippincott mine & Dodd springs, Leaning Rock, Kerdell prospect, section on Eureka, Saline and Panamint valleys (now covered in Hiking Western Death Valley).

The new hikes are typical Digonnet, full of geological and historical info that lets me enjoy the hikes even more than I would otherwise.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:00 am

Rockhopper wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:34 am
I have the second edition, but not the first. Michael Digonnet says, in the acknowledgements to the second, that additions include "...Moonlight Canyon and Funeral Slot Canyon, and the unlikely dunes in Sand Canyon." I don't know what other additions he made. The second is 546 pages long, if that says anything.
Thanks! First edition is 542 pages.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:02 am

shane wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:09 am
Added to 2nd edition: Moonlight cyn, Wahguyhe Peak, Thimble Peak, Funeral Slot, Mount Perry, Ubehebe crater, Towne peak, Butte Valley, Needle Peak, Telescope Peak, section on the Owlsheads (Contact cyn, Sand cyn, Manganese Ridge, Lost Lake, Owl Peak, Crystal Hills)

Subtracted from 1st edition: Nevares springs & peak, Lippincott mine & Dodd springs, Leaning Rock, Kerdell prospect, section on Eureka, Saline and Panamint valleys (now covered in Hiking Western Death Valley).

The new hikes are typical Digonnet, full of geological and historical info that lets me enjoy the hikes even more than I would otherwise.
Thanks! Telescope Peak is already covered in the 1st edition, so I take it he added to it?

Looks like I will be buying it at some point :)

kwalsh
Jayhawker

Post by kwalsh » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:10 am

shane wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:09 am

A few corrections:

The 2nd Edition also added Sidewinder Canyon.

Leaning Rock actually doesn't exist in the 1st edition. It was added to the 2nd edition.

1st Edition had 15 pages covering Trail Canyon as two separate chapters. 2nd edition has 8 pages in a single chapter covering the same area. Most of the reduced page count is omitted pictures and smaller scale maps/table but all text has been re-edited with possibly slight changes in overall content.

Similar story for Marble Canyon which was previously split into two chapters.

Both editions truly wonderful!

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:32 pm

Thanks, did not realize there is a new addition out. There's little on the Owlsheads other than Steve Hall's web site so that's a welcome addition. Getting rid of Kerdell, yes, that was a pretty obscure hike. Wahguyhe Peak? Oh man that is a killer killer scree scramble, did me in!

When the first edition came out, I was simultaneously saddened (that someone had published routes to some places I had to figure out on my own) and excited (as there were so many new possibilities!). I feel the same about these additions. That's fair, I think, and also respectful of the author.

JesPortland
Grubstaker

Post by JesPortland » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:11 pm

Somehow with fall remodeling I have misplaced my first edition.

So at the visitor center during our last week in March trip I forked over the $21 for the second edition. Nice that it had Sidewinder in it and very helpful. I'm not sure why we'd never done that canyon. The park page makes it out as extremely difficult. We thought it was a piece of cake! Though we didn't do the side slots that required climbing/ropes, etc. Did did about four and had great fun!

It has become a more common hike.

https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/ ... canyon.htm

Mojave, why are you sad about the new additions? Just curious!

TrailHound
Grubstaker

Post by TrailHound » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:59 am

Sidewinder Canyon is not "extremely difficult." The park service continues their tradition of discouraging the ordinary tourists from doing stuff that would get the tourists in trouble.

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:35 am

TrailHound wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:59 am
Sidewinder Canyon is not "extremely difficult." The park service continues their tradition of discouraging the ordinary tourists from doing stuff that would get the tourists in trouble.
The ordinary tourist is, sadly, ill-prepared for most outdoor excursions in my experience ... if 50% of your visitors come expecting a paved path with a snack bar, then hiking up a wash while exposed to the elements can be truly taxing to a lot of folks. Such a huge gap in capabilities between those that are going to the Park to pursue physical activities and adventures, and those that are working through their National Park Checklist on Spring Break. In Yosemite you can get away with it because the weather is a lot more chill, but in Death Valley people literally die.

Anywho, only have the second edition of Digonnet's guide and it's my frickin' bible. I wish he wrote about every area I like to explore. His writing style, coupled with useful details and information, is really top shelf.

JesPortland
Grubstaker

Post by JesPortland » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:29 am

It's interesting....only one person per year on average dies in DV to heat. The other death per year is due to car accident.

In Yosemite many people die from drowning, falling off cliffs, falling rock. 12-15 per year.

Even taking into visitation ratios DV's deaths per year are very low.

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:35 pm

JesPortland wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:29 am
It's interesting....only one person per year on average dies in DV to heat. The other death per year is due to car accident.

In Yosemite many people die from drowning, falling off cliffs, falling rock. 12-15 per year.

Even taking into visitation ratios DV's deaths per year are very low.
Good call & my bad on my original comment. Turns out Yosemite is actually the second most deadly National Park ... Death Valley doesn't even crack the top ten. Feel like a certain amount of deaths in Yosemite can be attributed each year to climbing and other "extreme" activities like base jumping, etc. I feel like a lot of folks come to Death Valley and stop at points of interest, don't stray far from their car, and then move along. Probably safest that way considering the environment unless you're prepared and experienced.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:00 pm

From the park website:

"The main cause of death in Death Valley: More people die in single-car accidents than by any other means."

https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/safety.htm