NOTICE: DV.net will be down for a few days starting 9/17 while some forum software modifications are made.

Fun detour at Virgin Spring Canyon

Death Valley related discussion
Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Fun detour at Virgin Spring Canyon

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:32 pm

Two weeks ago I got a late start due to having explored the Cinder Hill earlier in the morning. Heading into the wide mouth of Virgin Spring bearing to the east I noticed an old rusted can which I knew was not washed down the main wash bed.

So I followed that side drainage up and east of the main wash and found a large piece of a weathered milled wood beam which told me I was hot onto something.

Sure enough, several hundred yards up that side ravine was an old cabin site but with little remaining. Wondering why this site was chosen, I scampered up the increasingly steep ravine which was decorated with gorgeous red stone and a few narrows, but I never saw any sign of human activity or mining. I surmised that the old cabin site was a layover for travelers heading up the canyon to the mines there.

I eventually topped out over the ridge and followed its snaking spine north with view 360 and down into Virgin Spring Canyon. I wisely turned back to the car instead of punishing my knees and feet with miles of additional hiking up and around. Like Arnold, "I'll be back."

Life begins in Death Valley

N0 02
Breyfogler

Re: Fun detour at Virgin Spring Canyon

Post by N0 02 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:39 am

Thanks for sharing the video.