NOTICE: DV.net will be down for a few days starting 9/24 while some forum software modifications are made.

Oasis construction update Oct 3rd

Death Valley related discussion
Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Oasis construction update Oct 3rd

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:10 pm

Oasis at Furnace Creek in Death Valley construction update Oct 3, 2018. Due for completion and grand opening late November 2018 per project manager. Seeing will be believing. The project is looking good though and the newly planted trees make a huge difference.

Life begins in Death Valley

richfram
Jayhawker

Re: Oasis construction update Oct 3rd

Post by richfram » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:18 pm

What are the chances that everything will be open by December 1/2018 - the day we arrive for an extended (5 day) stay?
Richard

geomapmaker
Jayhawker

Post by geomapmaker » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:25 am

too bad the real oasis has been left to die, all the date palms we used to buy dates from. the line of palms from the inn to furn crk.

JesPortland
Grubstaker

Post by JesPortland » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:08 pm

Perhaps most will be done. I'll be there next week.

I remember from the past there was an irrigation canal with little ponds across 190 from the ranch with palm trees growing along side. last I remember them there 1978? Used to swim/dip there 66-74. Let's bring it back!

Also there was the same in the grove just north of the ranch between the ranch and campground. Used to play "boats" there. Was in bad shape these days but now golf course water is going there via drip irrigation. The palms are finally looking better.

JesPortland
Grubstaker

Post by JesPortland » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:10 pm

Apparently the store is open.

richfram
Jayhawker

Post by richfram » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:03 pm

JesPortland wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:08 pm
Perhaps most will be done. I'll be there next week.

I remember from the past there was an irrigation canal with little ponds across 190 from the ranch with palm trees growing along side. last I remember them there 1978? Used to swim/dip there 66-74. Let's bring it back!

Also there was the same in the grove just north of the ranch between the ranch and campground. Used to play "boats" there. Was in bad shape these days but now golf course water is going there via drip irrigation. The palms are finally looking better.
Apparently the store is open, but if you're there next week - we would really appreciate an eyewitness report.
Richard

Stincil
Jayhawker

Post by Stincil » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:05 pm

The store is open and it's located farther back than before, not near the front where they are still working on a restaurant. Had to ask where it was.

I paid $5.00 bucks for a bag of ice. It worked for a while but broke down. I brought my bag of water in for a refund but they rebuffed me. :biggrin:
Thanks,

Keith

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:07 pm

Stincil wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:05 pm
I paid $5.00 bucks for a bag of ice. It worked for a while but broke down. I brought my bag of water in for a refund but they rebuffed me. :biggrin:
That's funny. Maybe if all of us try the same ploy they'll lower the price of ice? :roll:
Life begins in Death Valley

Stincil
Jayhawker

Post by Stincil » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:13 pm

Hehehe!
Thanks,

Keith

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:39 am

I just hope that whatever replaces the 49ers Cafe has better food! I ate there two or three times and it was not very good. Even a simple burger! Yet very expensive.

For lunch, you were better off going to the Inn. Where for a couple more bucks you could have a good meal in a lovely setting. :cool:

kkrtrek
Jayhawker

Post by kkrtrek » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:11 pm

Boy, I really, really miss the big ice machine that used to be by the gas station at FC. For six quarters and a lot of noise, you got a great big block of ice. Probably gone 8 or more years now, but I certainly miss that option--and a good price.

JesPortland
Grubstaker

Post by JesPortland » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:37 pm

So most is open but it’s a bit of a ghost town right now. Very few getting around the ranch but I’m sure that will change next week and beyond.

The new much better larger store is where the steak house was(which decades ago was a economical buffet),

Where the bar was is an open area with not quite open looks like soup simple dish serve yourself thing? Good idea.

Where the 49er cafe was is the new open large nice decent looking food buffet place. Lots of seating and windows. $15 breakfast $18 lunch pricey $30 dinner with non alcoholic beverage.

Where the store was is the new steakhouse and bar with loft seating. Should open this weekend.

New bigger courtyard where the old one was. Outside furniture up and bring used. Good outside chairs Along the north wall.

Registration looks ready. New nice courtyard where parking was should open soon.

So it goes from 190 side:

Steakhouse/bar, big dining room buffet, smaller self serve type space, then new store.

I’m liking it.

The store has better sandwiches, from WA about $8. Nice salad for$7.50. I just bought a nice pint sized fruit bowl $6.

But bring your own beer and wine. Selection poor to me.

Ranch pool was drained and cleaned today. I’ve been daily. Debris bottom of deep end and a bit funky but wonderful pool.

More later. Ninety degree weather. Hot for hiking.