satellite pic of DV

Death Valley related discussion
Donna
Jayhawker

satellite pic of DV

Post by Donna » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:40 am

Hi everyone. I'm a Death Valley resident trapped in the body of a person who lives on the East Coast. 8)
Love the forum....thought you might get a kick out of this satellite pic from NASA.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsro ... g_id=16850

Sorry about all the traffic. With every news story I see on the wildflowers, I cringe, knowing it will bring more and more people. It's kind of like people who get on the bandwagon of a successful sports team that didn't play so well in previous years. :lol:

I've been going out there quietly every year for a long time, and all my friends think I'm nuts---"Death Valley? It's so flat!" or "boring" or "hot" and I let them think that! I'm coming at the end of April, hoping the main rush of tourists will have left by then.

GumboDave
Jayhawker

Post by GumboDave » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:18 am

Thanks for the interesting images........don't worry about the crowds........there is plenty of room in the Valley. This is my third year there...........I had a great time.

galaxina
Jayhawker

Post by galaxina » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:27 am

Hey Donna, thanks for that link -- very interesting.

I can relate -- I love living here on the Chesapeake Bay (in MD, where I've lived all my life) but I'm drawn to visit the desert as often as I can.

lepidium93514
Breyfogler

Post by lepidium93514 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:27 am

Wow, the Owens Valley has turned into a lake..... :rofl:

plum
Breyfogler

Sat. Photos of DV

Post by plum » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:23 pm

Amazing!

Great fotos and great site. Thank You!

Can you'all explain the giant "Tire Track" across the northern Panamints almost due east of Owens Lake? (in the first photo)

Does somebody out there have a GIANT suv, or is this the track of Big Bad Badwater Nessie?

I'm not going hiking in that area, unless somebody re-assures me - or at least goes along and holds my hand.

Frightened Plum

Greatbasinguide+
Grubstaker

tire track

Post by Greatbasinguide+ » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:43 pm

I know it is humor, but the cause of the tracks is interesting, It looks like a clouds and shadow thing.