Racetrack Roast

Death Valley related discussion
wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Racetrack Roast

Post by wbdeford » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:43 pm

When my wife was searing the sides of our Christmas roast, it reminded me of a rock at the Racetrack :)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 7bfb25ebf9

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and that a wonderful New Year awaits you--preferably with some DV time along the way.

Brian

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Re: Racetrack Roast

Post by MojaveGeek » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:45 pm

You've got too much DV on your mind :)

Hope the roast was good though!

Looking forward to my next trip in a few months; have to start to think about where to go now!

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:53 am

MojaveGeek wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:45 pm
You've got too much DV on your mind :)

Hope the roast was good though!

Looking forward to my next trip in a few months; have to start to think about where to go now!
May is my target this year. It has usually been April, but planning to spend most of my time in the upper Panamints so I want it to be a little warmer.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:59 pm

Where are you thinking of going? May is getting pretty hot unless you're pretty high, but you know that.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:08 am

MojaveGeek wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:59 pm
Where are you thinking of going? May is getting pretty hot unless you're pretty high, but you know that.
What I'm hoping to do is to park at Mahogany Flat, hike to Arcane Meadows and descend into Jail, canyon-hop the western Panamints down to Striped Butte, and then traverse the crest back north beyond Bald, with a possible drop to Panamint City for water. I still need to verify that the other water sources I have planned are reliable enough to get me through. There are several opportunities to cut things out if it ends up being too much. I am expecting it to take 7-10 days.

Here is the approximate route:

https://caltopo.com/m/07UJ

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:07 pm

wbdeford wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:43 pm
Christmas roast reminded me of a rock at the Racetrack :)
Brian, did your Christmas roast slide off of the stove and move around the countertop when you were not looking? Did the roast leave a track of delicious reddish-brown juice adding to the mystery? If so, we better send over a crew of Mythbusters to your home ASAP. :idea:

On another note about your upcoming explorations of the upper Panamints. My bucket list contains a desire to explore that grove of maple trees that you passed through on your epic up and down Telescope from Badwater. I was fascinated by those trees and want to get a much better look and maybe even a count.
Life begins in Death Valley

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:11 pm

MojaveGeek wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:45 pm
Hey, don't forget to sign that summit register on Blue Mountain! :cool:
Life begins in Death Valley

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:55 pm

Wow that would be a pretty stunning ridge walk!!! The pieces I've done were all fine (Porter - Sentinel, point 10460 - Wildrose, and up on the Bald ridge) have all been fine for travel. There was a cute little dry camp shelter right on the ridge line somewhere on the north side of 10460 if you need. There was a trail from the spring in Happy Canyon (by the site of the former Weston cabin) up to the Porter Mine road - that's how the Weston's accessed their place. And that spring was flowing great both times I visited in the mid 90s.

The guy I hiked with south from Telescope and gone north from Panamint Pass once and found it to be pretty tough, with a few tough scrambles. So be on your toes there and do it early in the day so you have time for a plan B if necessary.

Walking the ridge north, rather than south, is a good idea as you'll have the sun at your back.

Could be really memorable!! Good luck to you!

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:23 pm

The early part of Panamint Pass -> 10460 has been my biggest concern northbound. Last year's trip up Hanaupah to Telescope will, I am hoping, be of tremendous value in determining how far I can go in a day and how much water I need. 2 1/2 gallons got me from 3700 ft to 11,049 and back over about 51 hours. I am planning to take 3 gallons at this point.
MojaveGeek wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:55 pm
Wow that would be a pretty stunning ridge walk!!! The pieces I've done were all fine (Porter - Sentinel, point 10460 - Wildrose, and up on the Bald ridge) have all been fine for travel. There was a cute little dry camp shelter right on the ridge line somewhere on the north side of 10460 if you need. There was a trail from the spring in Happy Canyon (by the site of the former Weston cabin) up to the Porter Mine road - that's how the Weston's accessed their place. And that spring was flowing great both times I visited in the mid 90s.

The guy I hiked with south from Telescope and gone north from Panamint Pass once and found it to be pretty tough, with a few tough scrambles. So be on your toes there and do it early in the day so you have time for a plan B if necessary.

Walking the ridge north, rather than south, is a good idea as you'll have the sun at your back.

Could be really memorable!! Good luck to you!
Last edited by wbdeford on Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:33 pm

Death Valley Dazed wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:07 pm
wbdeford wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:43 pm
Christmas roast reminded me of a rock at the Racetrack :)
Brian, did your Christmas roast slide off of the stove and move around the countertop when you were not looking? Did the roast leave a track of delicious reddish-brown juice adding to the mystery? If so, we better send over a crew of Mythbusters to your home ASAP. :idea:

On another note about your upcoming explorations of the upper Panamints. My bucket list contains a desire to explore that grove of maple trees that you passed through on your epic up and down Telescope from Badwater. I was fascinated by those trees and want to get a much better look and maybe even a count.
We were able to watch it move a little bit :) It didn't go far, and that was a good thing.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:02 pm

Interestingly enough, looking at the sat images it looks like a clean ridge run, except for some weird and steep stuff at around the 8800 foot level (which seems to be mis-labeled as 7000 on the standard topo).

If you have a stove and there's snow up there, which is likely... you win the water lottery. Many years ago I was on Sentinal in late April and there were several feet of snow, while most of the rest of the ridge had been snow-free. But of course it is so variable from year to year.

Anyway, this is probably the park's grand challenge!

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:54 pm

Yes, that is the spot I'm talking about--a litte southwest of the erroneous 7000 ft label. It hits the base of some cliffs there, and you have to make a left turn and then find a ramp through them. I have 3 GPS coordinates a previous hiker sent me to get around them. Going up, it probably isn't necessary to know them, but coming down it could be very hard to find the right way and very easy to get cliffed out. Even though I am only going up, it is nice to have them anyway.

You can see the spot here in this shot:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 18056d4209

Yes, will be nice if there is snow, but not counting on it. It would be nice not to have to drop back down to Panamint City to get water. My last water source before that will be Colter Spring, so I imagine I will be getting low.

I don't know about it being the grand challenge, but if successful, it will be the biggest one I've done.
MojaveGeek wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:02 pm
Interestingly enough, looking at the sat images it looks like a clean ridge run, except for some weird and steep stuff at around the 8800 foot level (which seems to be mis-labeled as 7000 on the standard topo).

If you have a stove and there's snow up there, which is likely... you win the water lottery. Many years ago I was on Sentinal in late April and there were several feet of snow, while most of the rest of the ridge had been snow-free. But of course it is so variable from year to year.

Anyway, this is probably the park's grand challenge!

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:15 pm

Indeed, my friend had been hiking north to south, and said he got to one point where he made a leap of faith and went down some rocks he thought he might not be able to ascend if he got cliffed out below. Nice that you have a pic of it, very good for route planning!

If you need a Plan B, consider going up Water Canyon. Travel in the canyon bottom is manageable, despite a lot of downed trees. The headwall is pretty steep near the top, but not impossible. And lots of water at the spring. When I did this area north to south over Telescope, I ended up coming down Water (which was itself a plan B versus continuing west on the ridge off 10460 to pick up the Sourdough Cyn road. That next bump west looked a bit gnarly and we were low on water and daylight at that point, so it seemed wiser to head to known water)

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:11 pm

MojaveGeek wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:15 pm

If you need a Plan B, consider going up Water Canyon.
Yep! That's exactly what Plan B is :)

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:37 am

I added the GPS coordinates for bypassing the cliffs to my theoretical route:

https://caltopo.com/m/07UJ

I got them from this report from Steve Eckert. It looks like I should be able to do Panamint Pass -> Mahogany Flat in about 1 day. From there, it's a very long day hike to the north end and back (about 17 miles, but will be nice to have much less weight!

http://climber.org/reports/2012/1794.html