Down a fantastic Salt Funnel to Death Valley underworld

Death Valley related discussion
Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Down a fantastic Salt Funnel to Death Valley underworld

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:30 am

A fantastic funnel of salt slides you into the fractal underworld of the Salt Springs east of Highway 190 in Death Valley National Park - January 2019

Life begins in Death Valley

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Re: Down a fantastic Salt Funnel to Death Valley underworld

Post by MojaveGeek » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:13 pm

This is the area sometimes known as Gnome's Workshop? Did you see the long linear rock alignment near where the power line crosses? Or maybe you were in a different spot.

The formations are very cool but I though you were actually going to somehow lower a lens into the salt funnel :)

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:42 am

MojaveGeek wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:13 pm
This is the area sometimes known as Gnome's Workshop? Did you see the long linear rock alignment near where the power line crosses? Or maybe you were in a different spot.

The formations are very cool but I though you were actually going to somehow lower a lens into the salt funnel :)
I'm embarrassed to admit now that awareness of being in the Gnome's Workshop area didn't even dawn on me while I was there. Well, duh! So thanks for refocusing me on the location. I did not notice a long linear rock alignment but I'll look for that next time I'm out and about there.

Funny you mention the idea of lowering a lens into the salt funnel because as I was editing the video I thought to myself, could I go back and find the funnel and send in a probe. I noticed that Home Depot has plumbers probes - camera on a snake for only about forty bucks. I might take one with me next time I'm out trying to find salt springs, holes and other oddities?

BTW do you or anyone else on this sub know the process of the salt funnel formation? Does it look like it forms from the expulsion of air/water from below, due to heat? It's so delicate and beautiful. I also wonder if it's growing or being eroded away?

TonyG
Jayhawker

Post by TonyG » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:26 am

The same phenomenon that causes coffee stains to be darker around the circumference of the spot, either in a porous substrate or on a glass plate, causes the salt funnel (and other shape) formation. It is a combination of wicking and liquid evaporation followed by solute transport (salt diffusion) to even out the salt concentration. I recall reading a popular-science type of article on the very subject, but can't locate it at this moment. These two open-access papers are a bit related to the mechanism of the salt ring formation: https://www.nature.com/articles/srep10335 and https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com ... 10WR009677

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:46 pm

Well damn, that's a lot better answer then I could have tried to give, thanks!

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:37 pm

MojaveGeek wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:46 pm
Well damn, that's a lot better answer then I could have tried to give, thanks!
Agreed and my thanks to you MojaveGeek and TonyG for your continuous and enlightening feedback. I should change my username from DVD to DeathValleyIgnoramus! :help: