NOTICE: DV.net will be down for a few days starting 9/17 while some forum software modifications are made.

KC's Outpost, Beatty, Nevada

Death Valley related discussion
TrailHound
Grubstaker

KC's Outpost, Beatty, Nevada

Post by TrailHound » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:46 am

We ate at KC's last night. There was a sign on the door between the restaurant and the bar saying that the place would be closing in February. The owner's wife passed away recently. He wants to retire. The restautant is for sale. If no buyer is found, then it's gone. There aren't that many places in Beatty to eat. We have been going there for years. It will be missed.

DavidW
Jayhawker

Re: KC's Outpost, Beatty, Nevada

Post by DavidW » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:32 am

I've always enjoyed eating there.....like you said, not many choices in Beatty! We are heading there later this week, I'll report back if they are still open or not.

We went to the sourdough last November after they reopened under new owners. The food wasn't as good as before, not even close, and they didn't have their liquor license yet either.

TrailHound
Grubstaker

Post by TrailHound » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:15 pm

Reviews of the old Sourdough's were spotty at best - some good, some bad. We didn't try it this time and that was OK with me - bad food and no liquor are a deal breakers. We drove to Stovepipe one night and had the best food I have ever eaten there.

DavidW
Jayhawker

Post by DavidW » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:15 pm

I would imagine the Sourdough has their liquor license by now, but who knows. I'll be there Thursday night, so we might go look. To be honest, there was a certain feel that place had with the old owner that I'm not sure will ever be back with the new.

I've never eaten at Stovepipe Wells before, I'll have to keep that in mind.

bbb
Breyfogler

Post by bbb » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:56 pm

TrailHound wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:46 am
There aren't that many places in Beatty to eat. We have been going there for years. It will be missed.
I've never been to KC's, but I did eat at Sourdough this week. I hesitate to say anything negative about a local restaurant in Beatty since the options are so few and any warm meal is appreciated. Sourdough has a nice selection of bottled beers -- over 90, I think. But the burger I got was very obviously a frozen patty from a box that was very overcooked. Still, it's nice to be able to park in a bar stool with a cold pale ale at the end of a day.

DavidW
Jayhawker

Post by DavidW » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:59 am

bbb wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:56 pm
TrailHound wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:46 am
There aren't that many places in Beatty to eat. We have been going there for years. It will be missed.
I've never been to KC's, but I did eat at Sourdough this week. I hesitate to say anything negative about a local restaurant in Beatty since the options are so few and any warm meal is appreciated. Sourdough has a nice selection of bottled beers -- over 90, I think. But the burger I got was very obviously a frozen patty from a box that was very overcooked. Still, it's nice to be able to park in a bar stool with a cold pale ale at the end of a day.

We gave the new owner Sourdough a try last November before they had their liquor license.....like you said, overcooked hamburger that wasn't very good. We tried again this past Thursday. Won't be back. My friends Philly cheese steak had a lot of mold on the bread, mine had a little. When he pointed it out, they said it wasn't mold, it's cheese bread. Ya, ok buddy.

KC's Outpost was closed, which was sad to see. For any of you that haven't been, the VFW about a block west of the Sourdough was recommended by a few locals. We gave it a try and very happy we did. The food was great, and the drinks were very reasonably priced. We will definitely be back there!

TrailHound
Grubstaker

Post by TrailHound » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:13 pm

What kind of menu did the VFW post have? Is it all hamburgers or can you get lighter fare like chicken or fish? Someone on Yelp claimed that smoking was allowed. Is that true? If so, it's a deal breaker for us. Thank you for any help!

DavidW
Jayhawker

Post by DavidW » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:49 pm

Smoking is allowed, it's a bar as well. The menu had pulled chicken sandwiches, burgers, French dip, cheasesteak, mussels, salad, and a lot more that I can't remember. I was pretty surprised at the diversity of what was offered.
I'm not a big fan of smoke where I'm eating either, but the food made it bearable.

JesPortland
Grubstaker

Post by JesPortland » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:12 pm

We enjoyed KC's a couple of springs ago. A big carb out but the food was real good, from the turkey sandwich to the homemade cake!

Always wondered about the VFW. The food sounds great but the smoking is a deal breaker. Ah yes...it's Nevada!

Generallywe don't eat out during our week long trip as I like to cook outside out the trailer and enjoy the warm views!

Sparky of SoCal
Breyfogler

Post by Sparky of SoCal » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:54 am

That's right, smoking! I had already decided to try the VFW next week but smoking is a buzzkill.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:03 pm

A Coleman on the tailgate, a bottle of wine, and something good from a can atop one of the high points with a view is a wonderful thing.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

DavidW
Jayhawker

Post by DavidW » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:32 pm

Ya, the smoke part sucks......but when it's the best food in town, it's a lot easier to try and ignore it!

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:21 pm

Bummer, one less restaurant in Beatty.

Smoking is a deal-breaker for me too, so the VFW and Denny's are out.