Painful! Dry-nose desert syndrome?

Death Valley related discussion
Rockhopper
Jayhawker

Painful! Dry-nose desert syndrome?

Post by Rockhopper » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:03 pm

Last year in DV I convinced my wife to go for a hike on one of those windy, dusty days. We hail from Oregon, where moisture is everywhere, and you're more likely to mold or grow mossy than to desiccate. But that day in DV, something inside her nose dried out and (I think) cracked. It hurt like heck. She had to plug her left nostril for three days to keep air from irritating the (possible) cracked membrane.

Anybody on the forum have ideas for a nasal spray, or salve, or something to keep things moist inside the old snout?

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Re: Painful! Dry-nose desert syndrome?

Post by D.A. Wright » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:33 pm

I have had the outter part of the nostrils dry out and irritate, but nothing deep. A little dab of Vaseline usually did the trick, though I don’t like the feeling akin to a bad runny nose. Having been born and raised in the Mojave Desert, lived in Trona for five years and worked there for 20 years, and have lived in the Great Basin for nearly 40 years, I’m used to low humidity.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:03 am

Born & raised in the high desert, I did a two-year stint in Eugene to finish up my undergrad degree. When I moved back to the desert I had nose bleeds for almost a month due to the lack of moisture. I used to use Neosporin on a Q-tip to coat the most roughed up spots inside my nose, but for me it was mostly just a matter reacclimatization.

Rockhopper
Jayhawker

Post by Rockhopper » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:09 pm

Thanks for the thoughts. We'll be taking neosporin and Q-tips for sure!

Leaving tomorrow (Thursday), hope to be the Valley by mid-afternoon on Friday. Weather forecast looks good.