Death Valley Jim - current status?

Death Valley related discussion
Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Re: Death Valley Jim - current status?

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Fri May 31, 2019 9:29 pm

EastCoastWestCoast wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:36 pm
Jim made some really bad decisions that affected him as well as our family and the fans who admired and supported him. These decisions continue to affect him today legally, financially, and personally. I don't forsee him returning to death valley as anything but a tourist.
I appreciate you coming to this forum and adding some explanations. I do hope that over time some healing will take place and wounds will mend.
Life begins in Death Valley

Rockhopper
Jayhawker

Post by Rockhopper » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:40 pm

@EastCoastWestCoast: Thanks. That resolves a bit of mystery.

It's too bad; it appears some actions have made life more difficult for you and your family, as well as for Jim.

It seems to me that some people are obsessive rule-followers (me) and some are rule-breakers. I guess that human society needs both kinds of people, in different situations.

Sometimes things go the wrong way. And then they get better... :???:

EastCoastWestCoast
Jayhawker

Post by EastCoastWestCoast » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:21 pm

I appreciate all of your supportive words and I hope I was able to give those of you seeking it, the closure you deserve.

I mostly just would like to see people stop talking about him and giving him attention. He always used to say even bad press is good press. I know people have had some strong negative opinions of him and I just wanted to provide some validation for those feelings. Jim exploited very sacred places for his own gain and i often pleaded with him to be more respectful to the NPS, the places he wrote about and took people to, and the desert explorer community. He didn't deserve the amount of adoration he got from people for what he did. There was no higher purpose to it once he was well into his desert endeavors. It was about what he could get out of it. I think greater people have written about the desert who haven't left a black stain on it and they deserve more attention than Jim does.

I hope his absence makes space for more authors and photographers to share their romance with the desert. Thank you for giving me a voice for a moment to speak the truth from my perspective on the situation.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:04 pm

Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:21 pm
I hope his absence makes space for more authors and photographers to share their romance with the desert. Thank you for giving me a voice for a moment to speak the truth from my perspective on the situation.
Thanks again for stopping by here, adding clarifications, and especially for your last two sentences. I love your notion of "romance with the desert."
Life begins in Death Valley

Aedwards27
Grubstaker

Post by Aedwards27 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:31 pm

One of the worst parts of all this is how he gave away two very sensitive sites that I know of. One of them is a geoglyph site, the other is a burial site. Both in DVNP and the geoglyph is at least 2-3k years old.

I spoke with him on the phone once after corresponding with him via e-mail and I just got a weird feeling and didn't give him any information.

jacknv7
Grubstaker

Post by jacknv7 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:57 pm

"I appreciate all of your supportive words and I hope I was able to give those of you seeking it, the closure you deserve."

These posts make it sound like Jim is dead.

Where's Jim???

Aedwards27
Grubstaker

Post by Aedwards27 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:22 pm

jacknv7 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:57 pm
"I appreciate all of your supportive words and I hope I was able to give those of you seeking it, the closure you deserve."

These posts make it sound like Jim is dead.

Where's Jim???
The last I heard (or knew) he had moved to Northern California and was alive.

EastCoastWestCoast
Jayhawker

Post by EastCoastWestCoast » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:47 pm

James Mattern is alive, the man behind Death Valley Jim. The persona Death Valley Jim is no more. He is living a humbled life under the watchful eye of the law with his mistress and her mother in Fresno.

Sparky of SoCal
Breyfogler

Post by Sparky of SoCal » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:47 am

Judging from his lack of response to emails and not answering phone calls he has no intentions of honoring his debits that were actually scams or making any attempt to clean up his past.

EastCoastWestCoast
Jayhawker

Post by EastCoastWestCoast » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:39 am

@sparky - I am not surprised. I had to chase him for 2 years to sign divorce papers. And it's taken warrants for him to respond to his court cases. I don't see him ever paying back money that was paid to him. I've long thought his customers should file a class action lawsuit against him, or at least take him to small claims court. He owes me over $800. I also had to spend over $3000 to hire a lawyer and private investigator to find him just so I could be free from his games.

jacknv7
Grubstaker

Post by jacknv7 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:06 am

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:39 am
@sparky - I am not surprised. I had to chase him for 2 years to sign divorce papers. And it's taken warrants for him to respond to his court cases. I don't see him ever paying back money that was paid to him. I've long thought his customers should file a class action lawsuit against him, or at least take him to small claims court. He owes me over $800. I also had to spend over $3000 to hire a lawyer and private investigator to find him just so I could be free from his games.
Which federal court worked out the deal in which Jim agreed to the ban?

The California Eastern District handles cases out of Death Valley and the California Central District handles cases for Joshua Tree National Park.

EastCoastWestCoast
Jayhawker

Post by EastCoastWestCoast » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:30 am

@jacknv7 - United States District Court, Eastern District, CA.

EastCoastWestCoast
Jayhawker

Post by EastCoastWestCoast » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:39 am

Aedwards27 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:31 pm
One of the worst parts of all this is how he gave away two very sensitive sites that I know of. One of them is a geoglyph site, the other is a burial site. Both in DVNP and the geoglyph is at least 2-3k years old.

I spoke with him on the phone once after corresponding with him via e-mail and I just got a weird feeling and didn't give him any information.
Jim didn't just give away sensitive sites. He sold them to his fans and exploited them for his own gain. It's one thing to share sensitive sites with a select few and a whole other to do what he did. I wish I could say turning ancient sites into his own personal theme park and money making scheme was the sleaziest thing he's done for money, but it isn't. He has a long history of creepy gigs and questionable business ethics. I am mortified to ever be affiliated with him. I enjoyed exploring with him, but once he turned it into a gig, I couldn't support him anymore. I'm glad you didn't share any information. Your gut feeling was spot on and I wish I had listened to that gut feeling a long time ago when it came to being involved with him.

jacknv7
Grubstaker

Post by jacknv7 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:56 am

Jim's case has a hearing scheduled for tomorrow...

5:18-mj-00035-JLT All Defendants USA v. Mattern
Date filed: 05/21/2018
Date of last filing: 03/05/2019

"Fourth Status Conference set for 6/4/2019 at 09:00 AM in Bakersfield, 510 19th Street before Magistrate Judge Jennifer L. Thurston."

EastCoastWestCoast
Jayhawker

Post by EastCoastWestCoast » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:18 am

jacknv7 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:56 am
Jim's case has a hearing scheduled for tomorrow...

5:18-mj-00035-JLT All Defendants USA v. Mattern
Date filed: 05/21/2018
Date of last filing: 03/05/2019

"Fourth Status Conference set for 6/4/2019 at 09:00 AM in Bakersfield, 510 19th Street before Magistrate Judge Jennifer L. Thurston."
It's been difficult for me to find out specific information for his case. All I can find is info about one of the hearings last year for this one. His criminal cases in Fresno Superior Court are a lot easier to find. Any chance you'd be willing to send me information you've found about US vs. Mattern?