NOTICE: DV.net will be down for a few days starting 9/17 while some forum software modifications are made.

M 7.1 earthquake in Ridgecrest

Death Valley related discussion
ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Re: M 7.1 earthquake in Ridgecrest

Post by ETAV8R » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:26 am

Thanks for the news clip. Hadn't seen that as of yet. I'd bet this is the first time the current governor ever heard of Trona.

Sleeping in the Ashram would be an event even without an earthquake. I'm sure it is something you'll never forget.

jacknv7
Grubstaker

Post by jacknv7 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:55 pm

Appears that these earthquakes could have something to do with Walker Lane...

http://www.bldgblog.com/2019/07/walker-lane-redux/

https://www.wired.com/story/walker-lane ... eas-fault/

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Video showing faults and cracks

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:04 pm

Huck Outdoors made a special trip to the Trona area and have some great shots of the aftermath. At minute 2:50 they have a great angle on how the fault shifted right across the road.

Life begins in Death Valley

Grzldvt
Breyfogler

Post by Grzldvt » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:46 am

Wow, thanks for posting this information. The Lane Walker blogs are especially interesting as the aftershocks have moved in the direction going north. I am up in San Jose right now but have to get back to my place in Orange County and plan on a side trip to Trona to check it out. I have not researched it yet, but I suspect they can use food and water, anyone know of the top of their heads a contact?
I will research it also, to see what is needed

blackturtle.us
Jayhawker

Post by blackturtle.us » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:22 am

Our water is back on now and while it was out the National Guard was handing out free water in just about every imaginable form. There was non-potable water for flushing toilets, bottled water of every brand, and jugs of water, etc. Food has also been fairly abundant. Porta-potties were brought in as well as portable shower units. We've had a big community meeting with lots of county officials and people from utilities explaining what they're doing, etc. I talked to my boss a couple days ago (aka, the superintendent of Trona Joint USD) and he said one of the biggest problems is coordinating all the offers for help. He had to turn down several offers as it was not feasible to facilitate the efforts. I think everybody here is grateful for all the help we've received. Although the relatively brief amount of time that we were without water and electricity was bad, if that had been prolonged things would have been a whole lot worse.

LOTS OF NEWS CLIPS AND FUNNY COMMENTARY AT TRONANEWS:
http://www.tronanews.us/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=641
http://www.tronanews.us/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=642

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:46 pm

Glad to hear. My primary concerns for Trona residents was adaquate water and electricity for swamp cooling and refrigerators. Good to hear of aid efforts.

I still haven’t found any real info on the status of the plant, other than a chimney with a lopsided cap.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

blackturtle.us
Jayhawker

Post by blackturtle.us » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:10 am

D.A. Wright wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:46 pm
Glad to hear. My primary concerns for Trona residents was adaquate water and electricity for swamp cooling and refrigerators. Good to hear of aid efforts.

I still haven’t found any real info on the status of the plant, other than a chimney with a lopsided cap.
We got a notice that the plant will be firing up its boilers on either Monday or Tuesday. Monday, of course, is Labor Day, and Tuesday is the first day of school (following a two week delay to deal with earthquake damage). Due to the proximity of the school to the plant, it was felt that we needed to know that it might be noisy while this is happening and not to be alarmed.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:48 pm

Hope all goes well.

The news cycle has all but forgotten Trona’s damage, didn’t focus too closely on Trona’s damage anyway. Looking at Trona on the Web and other online sources I got a better picture as to the real severity. I’ve been through quite a few quakes in June Lake and Ridgecrest and only the 1980 quake at Mammoth was anything near as high on the scale.

Happy to hear the owner of the plants still view them valuable enough to repair and ressurrect. Hopefully Trona will survive, even if slightly diminished by the number of ruined structures.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.