Leave a Car Overnight at SW, Furnace Creek?

Death Valley related discussion
RandomlyWest
Jayhawker

Leave a Car Overnight at SW, Furnace Creek?

Post by RandomlyWest » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:37 pm

Hello...first post. I'm a cyclist who would like to ride from Furnace Creek on 190, stay overnight at the motel in Stovepipe Wells Village, and cycle back to Furnace Creek via 190 the next day (carrying a lot of water along the way, of course).

My question is...where do I leave my car overnight in the Furnace Creek area? Is there a place where you can leave a car parked overnight without drawing the ire of a park ranger, a campground host, a business owner, or a resident?

Would it actually be easier to leave the car overnight at SW and cycle toward FC, stay at FC, and cycle back the next day to SW? (I'm guessing the FC area would have more possibilities for overnight parking.)

I appreciate any and all responses...thanks so much.

Eric

Aedwards27
Grubstaker

Re: Leave a Car Overnight at SW, Furnace Creek?

Post by Aedwards27 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:51 pm

Hey Eric-

I have parked my car at the FC Ranger Station before overnight. I called ahead and asked and then let them know who I was and the make and model of the car when I left it.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:38 pm

In truth, I think if you parked in one of the residential areas, no one would be the wiser. I.e., in FC around where the rooms are - there's lots of parking and spaces don't get tight or anything. At SPW, I'd guess you could park in the spaces behind the pool along 190 - across from the gas station. Neither of these areas gives out "parking hangers" so they are not checking (at least last time I was in either place). There is however a lot of parking around the SPW ranger station and as suggested, you might just ask and leave a note. You are supposed to pay an entrance fee and get some sort of receipt to display and that would be advised if leaving overnight at either RS, though I've never heard of any enforcement (I have a "senior pass" good till I die so I don't pay much attention - but we generally don't leave this on display while in the park).

There's also space along the side of 190 by FC but that may have gotten torn up due to construction.

You're not allowed to sleep in your car so as long as any ranger can see in you should be OK. You don't *need* a back country permit to park anywhere.

RandomlyWest
Jayhawker

Post by RandomlyWest » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:35 pm

Thank you both!

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:18 pm

RandomlyWest wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:37 pm
I appreciate any and all responses...thanks so much.
Hey Randomly, you could sub-lease your car for the day to Richard Farabee who owns Farabee's Jeep Rentals at Furnace Creek. He could then rent your car out to the first person who is foolish enough to drive it out to The Race Track. It's usually about $350.00 per day for a jeep so you could make enough to pay for a one night stand at The Oasis and maybe five gallons of gas and a ten-dollar bag of ice. Of course, this idea is only as good as your total-complete replacement auto insurance policy. Check with your Geico agent who may give you a lizard discount.

Just kidding here. I've rented jeeps and left my car with Richard or have parked it over in the Oasis parking area which seems relatively safe. BTW those jeeps are really fun and not having to worry about ruining your own tires or suspension or getting stuck is a big-worry-reducer.

Oh, and don't forget to return here with a trip report and photos. I love to hear about adventures in my favorite national park.
Life begins in Death Valley