Weather Balloon ID?

Death Valley related discussion
bread
Jayhawker

Weather Balloon ID?

Post by bread » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:39 am

Howdy,

Been out around DV looking for a couple of things over the past month or so and came across the electronics below looking for something else. I've seen sort of similar things in posts here and other forums, so I assume it is from a weather balloon. Does any one know what it might be used for? The electronics are old old old in design and there is a diaphragm looking piece connected to a gear that I'm guessing measured atmospheric pressure maybe?

Thanks in advance!

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Re: Weather Balloon ID?

Post by Gowergulch42 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:11 am

You're right on all counts. I found one while doing field work in the Cascades this past October, and it had detailed instructions all over it saying things like "HARMLESS WEATHER INSTRUMENT" and "FOR SCIENTIFIC PURPOSES" and "PLEASE MAIL BACK TO (address)." It was launched from Salem, so it didn't get too far it seems. This example looks a lot older, but should still have had a return address on it unless the elements wore it away.

These get used to measure upper-atmosphere conditions for a limited time and disconnect from their balloons after their battery runs out. The data they provide is used in forecasts and weather modeling, and provide details on regional climate functions and changes.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

bread
Jayhawker

Re: Weather Balloon ID?

Post by bread » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:18 am

Thanks for the confirmation!!! I've found a couple in jtree, but never in DVNP and not ones this old. No markings whatsoever and any stickers are long gone. Even the electronics had no printing or silkscreen left. Judging by the through hole caps and resistors on the pcb, it is probably older than I am by a decade or two. I think the gear mechanism probably even had paper on it to manually log results, but it is long gone.