Badwater Sea Level Sign Scamper Up 282 Feet

Death Valley related discussion
Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Badwater Sea Level Sign Scamper Up 282 Feet

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:25 pm

Scale 282 feet up the wall above and east of Badwater 'Basin to the Sea Level sign for a great view on a February 2020 morning.

Life begins in Death Valley

Kauri
Grubstaker

Re: Badwater Sea Level Sign Scamper Up 282 Feet

Post by Kauri » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:46 pm

Nicely done! How slippery was the talus getting up to the sign? I've always wanted to get to it, but have been worried about unintentionally rolling back down on ball-bearing like rocks.
Death Valley named locations map, and my trip reports: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:17 pm

Kauri wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:46 pm
Nicely done! How slippery was the talus getting up to the sign? I've always wanted to get to it, but have been worried about unintentionally rolling back down on ball-bearing like rocks.
Thanks and this was my third attempt to reach the sign during the past three years. The first two attempts were too far south with reaching the same elevation as the sign but not able to scoot sideways the 50 to 100 yards necessary to access the sign. The best route IMHO (in my humble opinion) is south of the deep slot about 50-75 yards. From the parking lot, it looks like a verticle face but when you view it from that slot notch you can see the angle is steep but doable. The scree-talus had some slip to it but my standard low tech hiking boots grabbed purchase adequately with the assistance of both hands wearing gloves for extra balance and safety.

The most difficult spot of the scramble is scooting up the initial talus fan to the spot where you can start to grab solid rocks for your hands and feet. I noticed that once you succeed at the first entry point there are two or three alternative routes to the sign. I veered north towards the slot and took the chute that runs parallel to the slot almost all the way to the sign and then cut back south a bit to the sign. As usual, it's harder crawling back down than climbing up, but it's well worth the effort. No ropes were required and I'm not even close to being an experienced boulderer, rock climber or canyoneer. If I can do it most anyone else can.
Life begins in Death Valley

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:34 pm

Death Valley Dazed wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:17 pm
Thanks and this was my third attempt to reach the sign during the past three years. The first two attempts were too far south with reaching the same elevation as the sign but not able to scoot sideways the 50 to 100 yards necessary to access the sign. The best route IMHO (in my humble opinion) is south of the deep slot about 50-75 yards. From the parking lot, it looks like a verticle face but when you view it from that slot notch you can see the angle is steep but doable. The scree-talus had some slip to it but my standard low tech hiking boots grabbed purchase adequately with the assistance of both hands wearing gloves for extra balance and safety.

The most difficult spot of the scramble is scooting up the initial talus fan to the spot where you can start to grab solid rocks for your hands and feet. I noticed that once you succeed at the first entry point there are two or three alternative routes to the sign. I veered north towards the slot and took the chute that runs parallel to the slot almost all the way to the sign and then cut back south a bit to the sign. As usual, it's harder crawling back down than climbing up, but it's well worth the effort. No ropes were required and I'm not even close to being an experienced boulderer, rock climber or canyoneer. If I can do it most anyone else can.
Thank you for the advice! With your tips on the route, I think I might be able to make it to the sign on the first try :smile:
Death Valley named locations map, and my trip reports: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:48 pm

Wasn't that sign just put up there a few years ago? My recollection is that the whole parking area there was redone within the last 5 to 10 years. And that's when the sign was put up. Or maybe I'm just getting old and my memory is faulty, LOL. :dezdan:

Anyway, the sign already looks rather aged. But to say the least, that's a harsh environment!

kwalsh
Jayhawker

Post by kwalsh » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:56 pm

There has been a sea level sign up there for ages and ages but the particular one that is up there now is a relatively recent (in last ten years) replacement.