Homesick For DEVA - Here's your medicine

Death Valley related discussion
Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Homesick For DEVA - Here's your medicine

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:55 pm

Enjoy the next best thing to being in Death Valley National Park by touring with me to view the park's road system from unusual perspectives. Over the past seven years, I've attempted to capture images of the road as well as from the road. I hope you enjoy the mix!

Life begins in Death Valley

Kauri
Grubstaker

Re: Homesick For DEVA - Here's your medicine

Post by Kauri » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:51 pm

Great video! I will probably watch it multiple times over the next few weeks :) Thank you for posting!

I’m not sure how YouTube picks which image from the video to display as the “preview,” but I think that image from near Hole-in-the-Wall (at 1:30 in the movie) was taken at the exact spot where I lost my favorite butterfly finger puppet over the cliff when I was 4 years old (many years ago), and my dad had to climb down to get it. (The story has been retold many times among our family, and I think I’ll never hear the end of losing that puppet…)
Death Valley named locations map, and my trip reports: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.com

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:37 am

Kauri wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:51 pm
I’m not sure how YouTube picks which image from the video to display as the “preview,” but I think that image from near Hole-in-the-Wall (at 1:30 in the movie) was taken at the exact spot where I lost my favorite butterfly finger puppet over the cliff when I was 4 years old (many years ago), and my dad had to climb down to get it.
Kauri, you are so lucky to have been visiting the park since you were a young child. I'm envious. We should name that Hole In The Wall lookout point, "Lost Puppet Point." :)

BTW, YouTube randomly selects three scenes from the video for the thumbnail choice but if none of them serve the creator's purpose one can create and download their own selection, which is what I did in this case. How lucky to select the one image that brings such fun flashbacks for you. I took the image from my Navel Spring hike to the Hole In The Wall area about three or four years ago.
Life begins in Death Valley

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:50 am

That's a funny story, Kauri :) And as DVD says, fun for you to have been going out to the Valley as a kid! I've raised two desert rats who were out there from pretty early ages - my first trip ever was with my daughter when she was 3, and my son got to go out for the first time when he was about 1.

He's 20 now. For our March trip, I'd been out bumming around in the Mojave with my friend Jim Boone for a while, and Kathy was flying out to Las Vegas, via Denver, on a Friday early morning. Well when I woke up that day, while she was in the air, there was a notice that Ben's school was indeed closing - immediately. Fortunately the same daughter was able to drive up to Maine to get him, and by the time Kathy had landed in Denver I'd hatched a plan to get him to fly out early Sunday and join us as we drove over to DV. It all worked out and it was great to have him with us, even though our trip got cut short with the lodging and campgrounds in the park closing.

I like this video because it's fun to try to figure out where each shot was taken from!

I am also missing the wild places, quite a bit.