On the eve of this sites 15th birthday, an number of important changes have been made to the sites software to better your experience and help prevent SPAM. Cosmetic changes are still in the works, so please ignore any odd colors you may encounter and please report any errors you see. Thank you for a great 15 years! -DV.net Management

Notice: There were some email issues discovered. If you registered but have not received your registration email and/or you attempted to change your password, please use the 'Contact Us' link here or at the bottom of every page and supply us with your details.

DVNP Trip - Spring 2016

Been on a recent trip? Here is the place to share it.
ski3pin
Jayhawker

DVNP Trip - Spring 2016

Post by ski3pin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:44 pm

I have been visiting Death Valley since family trips in the 1950's. I remember how much my Mom loved Scotty's Castle. As a high school kid in the 60's, my buddies and I would make trips into the Panamints. My wife and I have been visiting Death Valley together since the late 80's but especially since my 50th birthday. No better place to face the half century mark than the Valley of Death.

The stories I tell in our blog about our travels are just that - stories. They are not meant to be guides, directions, or such; only a fun endeavor.

I love history and I expect several of you may also, thus I am sharing the story of one of our trips -

http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/2016/03/cha ... pring.html

The story is in five parts with a link to the following part at each installment's end. You may continue through to the concluding parts if so motivated.

Death Valley holds so much history. I know if I go on to life a long life, I still will only be able to scratch the surface.

Happy explorations.
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." Abraham Lincoln

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Re: DVNP Trip - Spring 2016

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:48 pm

Nice narrative, thanks!

The flowers really were amazing last year, weren't they! I'm rather fond of gravel ghost too and they were everywhere.

shane
Jayhawker

Post by shane » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:42 pm

Loved the report ski3pin! The Lemoigne area looked really appealing, someday when I have a capable vehicle I will spend some time there exploring.

One question, for your hike on installment 4 did you start at your Lemoigne campsite? If so I'm impressed at the distance you covered!

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:39 pm

Great blog! Now bookmarked, as a quick search around revealed some other great things for further reading.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

ski3pin
Jayhawker

Post by ski3pin » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:16 am

Thanks all for your kind comments. Shane, we camped in Marble/Cottonwood for access to part four hike. Mr. Wright, please enjoy other stories you find on the blog. :smile:
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." Abraham Lincoln

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:43 pm

ski3pin wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:16 am
Mr. Wright, please enjoy other stories you find on the blog. :smile:
Thank you! I enjoy stuff about my back yard. I lived in June Lake during the 1970s and half of the 1980s, Big Pine until 2008, Winnemucca since. :grin: I enjoy seeing stuff I wasn’t aware of. By the way, though it was once far more extensive, you can check out a small remenant of my old website, which might feature stuff you might want to see in the future.

http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

ski3pin
Jayhawker

Post by ski3pin » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:32 am

Mr. Wright, I've had your website bookmarked for many years. Thank you for your information. You have lived in some great places, Winnemucca included. We consider Nevada our alternate home state. :smile:

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:54 pm

Fantastic stuff, as always! I'm glad you made it up to Lemoigne too, and reminded me that I have to write about that too! I'm returning to the place we met next week, with certain success in sight!
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

ski3pin
Jayhawker

Post by ski3pin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:45 am

Andrew, we'll look for your tracks and see how you did. :smile:

Travel safe!