Death Valley 9 Days Trip Report

Been on a recent trip? Here is the place to share it.
dsefcik
Jayhawker

Death Valley 9 Days Trip Report

Post by dsefcik » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:30 am

A buddy of mine and I spent about 9 days roaming around Death Valley the week before Thanksgiving, no real plan other than hike around in the desert a bit. Drove out via Trona and hit up Telescope Peak the first day. After that we just kinda picked some locations each night looking at the map. Rogers Peak radio towers, Charcoal Kilns, Jayhawker Cyn, Greene-Denner-Drake Mill Site, Greenwater, Saratoga Springs, Crystal Camp, Skidoo Mill Site, Owlhead Mtns and a few more along the way. I really like the whole Greenwater Valley area and the Saratoga Springs / Crystal Camp area has amazing colors, I totally recommend the Owlhead Mtns area. The Skidoo Mill Site was very cool also but you need to spend some time hiking around to find everything. We got perfect weather and went home just before the big storm rolled in.

I am losing energy these days to write up long trip reports so am just gonna post up a few pics here and you can see more of the trip photos here

These are all B/W film using a very contrasty Rollie Retro 80s film, I kinda like it personally. Developed with Rodinal. Shot with an Olympus OM-4 and a 30-105mm Zuiko lens.

My last Trip Report for Death Valley was back in 2010, you can read that long trip report here.

Funeral Peak early morning

Saratoga Springs Mill Site, this was a great place to hike around for half a day

Owl Dry Lake, we found several 50 caliber and 20mm casings and the machine gun "belt" clips out on the dry lake.

Black Magic Mine is another great place to explore, here is Gary looking out towards Owl Dry Lake from one of the viewpoints

Greenwater Valley early morning

Badwater view from Telescope Peak

The feral burros have really taken over many areas of the park and surrounding BLM lands. They have a whole network of deep rutted paths all over out there.

If you like these photos, you can see the rest of the trip photos here

I may add color photos also if the mood strikes me.

Total mylar balloons this trip: 5 (color photos on my phone)

--

Kauri
Grubstaker

Re: Death Valley 9 Days Trip Report

Post by Kauri » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:50 pm

Incredible photos!!
My trip reports, from Death Valley and beyond: http://kaurijacobphotography.yolasite.c ... eports.php

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:57 pm

I really like the black & white for effect. Has the feel of 1950s and early 1960s Desert Magazines.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

dsefcik
Jayhawker

Post by dsefcik » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:18 am

I appreciate the positive comments, figured there would be a few people out there that would like the old look of an incredible landscape. I wished I had more time to explore DV, it is just an amazing place and I am in awe whenever I go.

dsefcik
Jayhawker

Post by dsefcik » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:29 am

Does anyone know what the round spinny contraption is in the below photo from Rogers Peak (left side of photo)?

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:26 am

I’ve come across a few of them here in northern Nevada. If I remember correctly, they have something to do with wind.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

John Morrow
Jayhawker

Post by John Morrow » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:17 pm

D.A. Wright wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:26 am
I’ve come across a few of them here in northern Nevada. If I remember correctly, they have something to do with wind.
Its a rain collector gauge. The spikey things are to keep wind from influencing the available precip to the cylinder and thus reduce inaccurate readings.
The wind is measured by the blimpy looking thing on the right along with temp and pressure in the box.

dsefcik
Jayhawker

Post by dsefcik » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:02 am

John Morrow wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:17 pm
Its a rain collector gauge. The spikey things are to keep wind from influencing the available precip to the cylinder and thus reduce inaccurate readings.
The wind is measured by the blimpy looking thing on the right along with temp and pressure in the box.
Awesome, thank you!

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:09 pm

Nice pix! Glad to hear from you again and glad you had what looked like some good travels.