Wahguyhe Peak Via Strozzi Ranch

Been on a recent trip? Here is the place to share it.
Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Wahguyhe Peak Via Strozzi Ranch

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:43 pm

Day hike from Strozzi Ranch up the southeast face of Wahguyhe Peak down the north face halfway to Mount Palmer backtracking and then north to Moonlight Canyon - Phinney Canyon Saddle returning via Phinney Canyon Road crossing two watersheds back to Strozzi Ranch. July 1, 2020.

Life begins in Death Valley

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Re: Wahguyhe Peak Via Strozzi Ranch

Post by MojaveGeek » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:09 pm

Just got around to looking at this video. That was a death march! Good thing you started early and had a lot of light :) How was the ascent to Wahguyhe Peak from that side? When I was there we were going up the way you came down and for every three steps up that talus you'd slide back one, argh, very tedious! In fact we bailed a bit before the summit - short day and we'd had to walk in a bit further than usual due to snow drifts in the road.

bluegreen kayak
Jayhawker

Post by bluegreen kayak » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:22 pm

That was a great video for a DV-deprived person to watch; thank you! Just two questions:
1. It looked like you drove up to Strozzi's in a normal, not high clearance or 4 wheel drive vehicle. Is it doable with a van?
2. How, phonetically, does one pronounce Wahguyhe? I've only read it, never heard it said.
Thanks again, I enjoyed the great scenery. Glad that you made it back safely too.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:30 am

bluegreen kayak wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:22 pm
1. It looked like you drove up to Strozzi's in a normal, not high clearance or 4 wheel drive vehicle. Is it doable with a van?
2. How, phonetically, does one pronounce Wahguyhe? I've only read it, never heard it said.
You are welcome and glad you enjoyed the video. Yes, drove in from Hwy 95 to Strozzi in my Subaru CrossTrek without problems even over two sketchy dips through washes-gullies. I deflate my tires down to 20lbs to even out bumps and washboards and prevent flats. I carry a 12-volt air compressor to re-inflate when back on pavement. I also carry flat tire repair kits, jumper cables, a shovel and heaps of extra water and shade tarps. A van could probably make it but I would not try it just to be safe. I've seen people driving rental cars in rough spots I'd never ever attempt. :lol:

I was discussing The Wahguyhe Peak hike with Mike Reynolds, The DV Superindentent and I thought he pronounced it Way-Guy-Hay but I'm still not positive how the local indigenous folks pronounce it. Next time I stop in for an Indian Taco at the tribal HQ I'll ask Frank who is usually in there cooking.

This DV trip was only three nights in the park, much too short so I'm jonesing to return ASAP and stay longer.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:05 am

MojaveGeek wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:09 pm
That was a death march! How was the ascent to Wahguyhe Peak from that side? When I was there we were going up the way you came down and for every three steps up that talus, you'd slide back one, argh, very tedious!
Thanks for checking out the video and yes, it would have been a death march if I had not stopped and turned around halfway out to Mount Palmer. I have no idea how far the hike was. but just know that I hiked from sunup to sundown with much scrambling involved. One of my crazy maxims is, "If I can see it I can hike to it."

After reading Steve Hall's account and that of Michel Digonnet (Hiking Death Valley) crying about those talus slip and slides I decided to give the southeast slope approach a try and was proud of myself to have guessed well enjoying a lovely but still steep ascent. Near the summit, I stumbled upon my first mule deer antler, a three-point which I placed atop the peak at the register. Glissading down the north slope talus sheets was fun rather than punishing.

I literally ran into Mike Reyolds jogging around the FC Golf Course early morning the next day and we chatted about Wahguyhe which he had recently bagged. He had the same complaints as you, Steve and Michel and as I discovered, our own Candace66 who left a note on the peak register about the struggle up. Mike Reynolds and his group had also bagged Mount Palmer and were trying to bag the peak north of Palmer and west of Grapevine but wisely turned back by cutting down into Moonlight Canyon and then up to Phinney Pass rather than ascending back to the ridge between Palmer and Wehguyhe. Some of those NPS staffers are hiking fiends and getting close to bagging two hundred high spots in the park. I'm jealous and have no hope in the world of catching up to them. Our very own Candace66 may be the only one in this forum even close to tailing these hiking maniacs.

BTW I am so impressed with the landscapes of Strozzi-Brier Spring Canyon having witnessed them in early morning and sunsetting light. IMHO this is a top five scenario withing the entire park and is rarely visited. I hope to return and spend at least one day just exploring the valley and also the ridgelines high above for even more perspective. I had no problem with tics or bugs either but then again I was not crawling through the thick canyon underbrush but instead hiking through the southern side exposure most of the way.

Now having gazed deep into Fall Canyon and Redwall Canyon from their headwaters I'm keen to hike them both. I may try to conquer Mouint Palmer from Redwall Canyon?

Thanks again MojaveGeek for you comments and interest. I always enjoy youy reports of your vast experience and wisdom about DV.

Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Post by Candace_66 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:43 am

Some of those NPS staffers are hiking fiends and getting close to bagging two hundred high spots in the park. I'm jealous and have no hope in the world of catching up to them. Our very own Candace66 may be the only one in this forum even close to tailing these hiking maniacs.
I've had a peek at that list. I doubt I'll ever do half of them. Beyond the obvious named summits, it includes a lot of very obscure high points! But not as many as this crazy list:

https://listsofjohn.com/NP/?W=91

I wonder if anyone will ever finish THAT list! :D