Titus Canyon - March 9, 2008

Been on a recent trip? Here is the place to share it.
Ranboze
Jayhawker

Titus Canyon - March 9, 2008

Post by Ranboze » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:40 pm

I had never been in Titus Canyon, so took an opportunity to avoid the I-15 drive from Vegas to Long Beach by detouring through Beatty, Rhyollite and then Titus Canyon.

Maybe it is the time of year, with desert shrubs owning a green hue. Maybe it was the fact that the road was recently graded - it was in tip top primo condition. Maybe it was just the beautiness of it all. In any event, Titus Canyon was just purdiful and I had a most enjoyable ride. It catapulted to the top of my offroad adventures. I don’t even think 4WD is necessary for it right now.

Trip time: 2 hours, 50 minutes

I know it's probably old news to most folks on this board, but I documented my trip by using Bryan and Tucker-Bryan's "The Explorer's Guide to DVNP" and photographing sites seen as described in their book... more or less. The photos are HERE

Socalz
Jayhawker

Post by Socalz » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:03 pm

Thanks for posting the pics. You're right about not needing a 4X4 as I ran the canyon the day before you and passed by a couple at White Pass driving a Toyota Camry.

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:45 pm

I have never been in the canyon either, except for walking in the lower part. Checking out your trip photos may have inspired me just enough to do it for the first time when I'm out there later this month. Nice job.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:55 am

That's a nice photo tour of Titus and its road!

I could be wrong, but I think the road is classified as 2WD "high clearance", except when it is closed (Red Pass gets muddy I gather). I've driven it 3 or 4 times in ordinary rental sedans and it is hardly white knuckle driving. Much less threatening than many DV non-4WD back roads.

When you drive it though, you miss a lot in the narrows, you're just moving too fast. There are some wonderful grey and white mosaic walls in the narrows. But the road is so narrow and sight distance so short that it is hard to stop. It's worth while after a drive to walk back up 1/2 mile or so to take a closer look.

DesertDawg
Jayhawker

Re: Titus Canyon - March 9, 2008

Post by DesertDawg » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:46 pm

Ranboze wrote:..Titus Canyon was just purdiful..
Nice report, thanks. BTW, your choice of vehicle and color suggests a person of great intelligence, charm, and wit. ;-)
..It catapulted to the top of my offroad adventures..
Just curious, have I ever been forgiven for recommending Mengel Pass as a lovely afternoon drive?:crazy:
If you come to a fork in the road, take it.

rockgarden
Jayhawker

Post by rockgarden » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:53 am

Great photos ! I drove thru there on 2/28(part of my 1st DVP visit) and took a few pics but yours were much more complete. I flipped through them all and showed my family just where I had been. Can't wait till my next visit this fall or next Feb. Also agree with you on no 4WD needed, just higher ground clearance. I can't see how most cars with air dams make it thru without ripping them off or beating them up on the loose rocks in the road(I was driving a rental 4WD Jeep Compass). Next time I go it will be for a week with a real 4WD and try some real 4WD roads( maybe Lippincott Road after warming up on some others). I wish we had places this in Maryland(my home).

netllama
Death Valley Resident

Post by netllama » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:28 pm

Heh. I drove my VW Passat through Titus Canyon 2 years ago without any issues. I took it very slowly, and did the entire length in about 4 hours.

Lizz
Breyfogler

Post by Lizz » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:25 pm

I drove Titus the day after you and I was quite pleased with the trip. As I was approaching from Rhyolite I kept wondering where the road went. I'd recommend it to all who haven't done it.

Lizz
At either end of the social spectrum there lies a leisure class.
http://www.lizzbartlett.com

dj
Jayhawker

Post by dj » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:43 pm

Thanks for posting those, Ranboze! I've been wondering about Titus Cyn, since I'm about to make my second trip to DV and considering what vehicle to rent. Your pictures were a great photo-tour.

rockgarden, I'm in MD too. Near Annapolis. It sure is a different world out west! :-)

Ranboze
Jayhawker

Post by Ranboze » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:10 pm

Thanx dj. Hope you have a great trip.

greatbasinguide
Grubstaker

Post by greatbasinguide » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:12 pm

It is a great bicycle run, from the top of the pass to the paved road, it is all down hill. Either stash your bike in the desert and hitchhike back to your car or get someone to drop you off and pick you up. Well worth it.

Rubiblue
Grubstaker

Post by Rubiblue » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:23 pm

Just curious, have I ever been forgiven for recommending Mengel Pass as a lovely afternoon drive?
I'll forgive you at least! A small group of us was there on Sunday and it was great!
Rubi with extra stuff

booggerg
Jayhawker

Post by booggerg » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:53 pm

Did the drive thru Titus back in January in my rental Sportage.. quite a few washouts along the way and I believe my rear passenger wheel dropped when I over-steered at a turn. 3 hrs and not a soul - it was the most refreshing moment I've ever experienced.

Oh the anticipation!

Cutting thru the canyon..

Will I fit?

And the view of the valley for the first time in my life..

A little bit further and I come out to the most peaceful silence I've ever experienced.

bikerjosh
Jayhawker

Titus Canyon

Post by bikerjosh » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:44 am

Great pics. Been through Titus twice on a motorcycle and twice in my honda element.

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:57 pm

Ranboze did indeed convince me to drive through Titus. Here was my trip report which I wrote up for my private web site.

Titus Canyon Trip Report--

http://www.panamintcity.com/grapevine/titus.html
Last edited by SteveH on Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.