NOTICE: DV.net will be down for a few days off and on starting 10/9 while some forum software modifications are made.

DV Trip 2014, Jan 28 - Jan 30

Been on a recent trip? Here is the place to share it.
alluvialfan
Grubstaker

DV Trip 2014, Jan 28 - Jan 30

Post by alluvialfan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:39 pm

Just got back from Death Valley today. My trip was cut short - my Mom passed away Thursday 1/30, and I stopped everything to get home today. I did get three days of hiking done. 5 further days will just have to wait until the next time. I'll be writing trip report later.
Two of the days were spent hiking Death Valley Wash, up & backs from Mesquite Springs, North to Ubehebe Crater road, and South past Big Horn Gorge mouth. Very good, family friendly hikes, with lots of incredible scenery. This 2-day test hike confirmed how much I'd really like to do a 3-day hike from Mesquite Springs to Stovepipe Wells & back via DV Wash, maybe next year.

Think of Your Parents.

N0 02
Breyfogler

Post by N0 02 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:49 pm

Very sorry about your mother.

Rest in Peace.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:17 pm

:bawling: that's terrible to have happen.

On another note, have you hiked the section from Stovepipe to Mesquite? There may be surface water on a part of Mesquite Flats but I haven't hiked out there myself to verify.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:34 pm

Sorry to hear about your mom, alluvial.

I'm fascinated by those long hikes on the flats myself. Have been south from the pavement down to the alkali dust stuff south of Salt Creek, and I've enjoyed hiking north of the dunes several times. If you can spot a vehicle, I enjoy the "Stovepipe to Stovepipe" walk - from the civilized end over to the gate on the old dirt road to the well site.

alluvialfan
Grubstaker

Post by alluvialfan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:40 am

Thanks for comforting thoughts.

Gowergulch - no, didn't walk out there (one of my canceled hikes), so I know nothing about water there, nor did I hear anything (I never asked).

Mojave, thanks for the info; hope to do a long hike starting at Stovepipe one of my trips. Right now, it's the Mesquite Springs to Stovepipe & back that I want to do.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:08 pm

I wouldn't count on water out there. Went to Surveyor's spring once but not much there.

That being said, on the sat images I see a few pools or places of wet sand. There are often ephemeral little lakes in the sand dunes after storms. They dry out over days or weeks and leave just dry mud.

I also see what looks like it may be a bit of a stream out there, with some shallow pools, but it's probably salt, headwaters of Salt Creek (then going underground beneath the dunes). I'm curious about that, and it might be a fun thing to explore some day. I'll have to mark it on a map and save it for one of those not super high energy cool days.

alluvialfan
Grubstaker

Post by alluvialfan » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:42 am

Another short one. Always wanted to take the short walk up Gower Gulch wash, look at the fall. Also walked to canyon just south; it's an immediate fall there, but walked up slid to the right and got a nice elevated view of Gower Gulch wash.
Pics:

Canyon south

Gower Gulch wash thru Badwater rd.

JesPortland
Grubstaker

Post by JesPortland » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:04 am

Hi,

Interested, that last picture, is that looking east into Panamint Valley? Is that the gravel road or PVR?
Looking at my National Geo map, How far did you go off the north/south gravel road? Don't think I want to take my Tundra through the Mengal Pass though I want to get back to Stripped Butte again, from Westside Rd..

Thanks.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:00 am

That picture is in DV looking at Badwater Road from south of Golden Canyon at Gower Gulch. The pass going from Goler Canyon over Mengel Pass to Striped Butte is the best it's been in years. As long as you have all-terrain tires you'll probably make it without problem.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

alluvialfan
Grubstaker

Post by alluvialfan » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:20 pm

Jes, Gowergulch is right; didn't mean to confuse anyone. That's just Gower Gulch wash at the paved Badwater Rd, of the ol' heavily traveled Golden Canyon, Gower Gulch, Zabriskie Point, etc. Parked on Badwater Rd, walked for about 5,10 minutes up the wash to the fall. Surprisingly, didn't see any hikers walk by, above me ("Help, I'm stuck down here!!").

JesPortland
Grubstaker

Post by JesPortland » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:43 pm

Hey thanks guys, I thought I was looking at Badwater Rd. somewhere but my mind was on Goler Wash Canyon. Strange after all these years haven't done that hike you did. Another one close by last March we did is Desolation Canyon just to the south. Nice to have a little used area so centrally located.

So yes, want to try Mengal Pass after visiting Ballart as a different route to Striped Butte. The BF Goodrich Rugged Trail A/T that came on my Tundra TRD did real well last March but have worn so much I am replacing them with Michelin A/T 2's before our trip this late March. I'll research it more, don't want any real chance of banging up truck, did that last year turning around on Hanaupan Canyon Rd!