NOTICE: DV.net will be down for a few days off and on starting 10/9 while some forum software modifications are made.

DV Trip 2014 Jan, Mummy Canyon and nearby area

Been on a recent trip? Here is the place to share it.
alluvialfan
Grubstaker

DV Trip 2014 Jan, Mummy Canyon and nearby area

Post by alluvialfan » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:13 pm

My first hike was to Mummy Canyon, its natural bridge, and some of the surrounding area near the Death Valley park entrance sign on HWY 190. I want to thank Steve Hall for his report on Mummy Canyon. And please, as Steve mentioned, the park service has requested, park your vehicles at the park entrance sign.
After seeing Steve's report on Mummy Canyon, I recalled how interesting the area was, per numerous stops at the sign and simply looking around. The interesting rock type of Mummy Canyon can be seen for a fair portion of the nearby hills there. So besides visiting Mummy Canyon, I wanted to see if additional figures could be seen in other nearby cliffs. I can report that although the Mummy in Mummy Canyon seems to be the best cut figure, there are some other faces that can be imagined in other nearby areas. So it's a fun, easy hike and the unique rock formations are somewhat entertaining.

Here's a few photos.

When you stand underneath the mummy and notice the crumby rock, you hope that the mummy is indeed permanently entombed there.

In center, a face with just one eye

Profile of an animal

Hillside with a few images

Profile of a mummy with shoulder-length hair

Two mummies

A few here

an animal

a good profile

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:09 am

That's a fantastic report on the area, alluvial. You sure found a lot of interesting shapes and images out there on your hike. You must have really taken the time to enjoy it.

alluvialfan
Grubstaker

Post by alluvialfan » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:29 pm

Thanks Steve. Like I said, when you posted your excellent trip report on Mummy Canyon, I remembered something about the area, so I built in a couple extra hours to hike around. And sure enough, when I got there, I noticed the possibility of extra images in similar rock formations around the area. Thanks again.