NOTICE: DV.net will be down for a few days off and on starting 10/9 while some forum software modifications are made.

2014 jan DV trip, DV Wash, south from Mesquite Springs CG

Been on a recent trip? Here is the place to share it.
alluvialfan
Grubstaker

2014 jan DV trip, DV Wash, south from Mesquite Springs CG

Post by alluvialfan » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:50 pm

It's another easy, yet stunning, walk in Death Valley Wash, south of Mesquite Springs Campground. Great views of both the Grapevine and Cottonwoods Mts. But also you see nicely cut walls on both sides of the Wash - what, it's the effects of DV Wash against the alluvial fans of the Grapevines and the Cottonwoods. Walking south, you see a big ridge on the Cottonwoods side and then DV wash turns shapely to the left. It's not until you walk that curve, that you then notice you're at Big Horn Gorge wash dumping into DV Wash, that it hits you - what a tremendous pile of alluvial down from Big Horn Gorge, shaping that huge curve in DV Wash. And there's also some nicely cut walls on the Grapevines side of the wash there too. South past BHG wash, you see some very high walls on the Cottonwood side. You can see them from Scotty's Castle Rd, but you just don't realize how high those walls are until you get up close. Eventually, you begin to see some more big walls on the Grapevines side; that was my turnaround point.

Here's the pics:

Tin Mt.

Tucki Mt way on down there, but the beginnings of noticing a ridge ahead

Trash can in DV Wash; it must go with the picnic table you see elsewhere in the wash too

There's the big ridge and DV wash swinging to the left

DV wash headed toward Grapevines

A look back to the north, around BHG wash entrance. Nice walls on Grapevine side.

Looking south, around BHG wash entrance. Nice walls on Grapevine side.

Past BHG, see the big high nicely cut walls on the Cottonwoods side

A bird nest and a nice boulder sticking out of the wall.

Those walls are very tall!! Isn't it beautifully cut...

Further south now - a look back at those big walls

Close to the turnaround point for me. Big alluvial fan on Grapevine side ahead and more walls on that side.

Going back now, coming back to the big walls again

So, to repeat, when you're walking south and see the ridge ahead, it's Big Horn Gorge fan. Prepare to turn left!

Sure would like to know the story of this picnic table anchored in the wash

An example of some of the bigger cracked mud

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:03 am

What a gorgeous hike. How tall would you estimate those walls to be? :mrgreen:
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

alluvialfan
Grubstaker

Post by alluvialfan » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:53 am

Thanks Gowergulch. I'm not good at estimating heights, but I'd guess 30+ feet, maybe 40 feet. Here's a couple more photos of the rock sticking out, close and far. That rock seemed to be 15 feet up, and it looks below half-way up the wall.
That wall inside BHG wash that I posted in the other thread, that's taller than one thinks too. I should have walked up BHG wash to admire that wall again.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:44 pm

The picnic table is clearly there for your lunch break :)

I've wanted to walk across the flats on the old road, which hits the pavement near Red Wall canyon, but never have (it crosses the valley straight as an arrow then turns south until it hooks up with the current road to the mouth of Cottonwood.)

I can also see bits of an old road in the middle of the valley that runs parallel to the pavement for a few miles.

South of that cross-valley road, the slope decreases and the channels meander and are much less distinct - this is around the Cottonwood fan. South of there I see a place where there are again channels and in the current sat image some pools of water. Probably usually mud, but could be worth a look after a strong rain. I don't now how to find the dates on the sat images.

Randy O
Jayhawker

Post by Randy O » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:24 pm

If you're looking at Google Earth satellite imagery, the date is posted at the bottom of the screen on mine.

alluvialfan
Grubstaker

Post by alluvialfan » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:46 pm

Mojave, I want to walk that old West Side Rd too.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:07 pm

Randy O wrote:If you're looking at Google Earth satellite imagery, the date is posted at the bottom of the screen on mine.
Thanks, Randy! You mean the copyright 2013 kind of date? I'm using the browser plug in for Google Earth so maybe I need to load the full app. Do you see more detail (like month) than just the year?

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:02 pm

He new imagery is .5 meter, while he old is 1 meter. So it is noticeably crisper. Also, clicking on the clock on the top,toolbar you can scroll back to previous imagery sets :mrgreen:
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:05 am

I see what you mean. I loaded GE and I do see better dates, but the time slider doesn't show other images of comparable resolution - I was trying to figure out how ephemeral some pools of presumably salty water are in the middle of Mesquite Flat.

August 2013 is the date, possible summer thunderstorm run off but not sure there was anything in the north half of the valley this summer? If it had been a wetter fall I'd be a bit more inclined to go check them out next week.