DV Nov 2014 -- Wingate Wash, Red Wall Cyn, Pyramid Pk

Been on a recent trip? Here is the place to share it.
SteveH
Death Valley Resident

DV Nov 2014 -- Wingate Wash, Red Wall Cyn, Pyramid Pk

Post by SteveH » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:32 am

We are currently in the middle of our Nov 2014 trip to Death Valley which is featuring four days of hiking. Today is a day off of rest after an incredible two days exploring Wingate Wash. Two hikes down, two more to come. The first two hikes have been amazing. You can check them out on my blog in advance of the upcoming more detailed trip reports to come later.

http://panamintcity.com/dvablog/
Last edited by SteveH on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:42 pm

Wow, everything looks amazing! I'm jealous you get to be in DV right now :).

The Wingate slots remind me a little of the Sidewinder area... Very nice! Can't wait to see more photos. How far are they from West Side Road?

And I'll be looking forward to more photos of Wingate Lake; did you figure out what was going on with the strange imagery on GE?

I'm actually surprised you're taking a rest day—so you're not going anywhere in DV today, or are you doing a short family hike?

Looking forward to seeing more photos from your upcoming hikes!!

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:10 pm

Nice! Great that you can be there and the weather looks good!

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:43 pm

Kauri- The mouth of Wingate Slot Canyon is located about 8 miles from the parking area on Warm Springs Rd. Parking on West Side Rd is not recommended due to terrain crossing issues. Yes, we solved the mystery of Wingate Dry Lake but I will have to comment on it later (or send you a PM). Trust me, I wouldn't take a rest day if I didn't need it. The 30 mile backpack took a toll on my group -- one person got 11 blisters, one got a bad blood blister, and I got an injured hamstring. Unfortunately, I'm the only person in the group who can continue hiking at all. I will try for a family day on Monday but who knows. Right now, I need to focus on resting up for the epic Red Wall / Upper Little Arches Canyon hike tomorrow. By the way, it looks like Pyramid Peak might be postponed from its planned day on Tuesday to the next trip (due to my trip member having injured feet), which means I might be doing a different major hike. The only other major hike I actually have planned out fully (with maps and GPS coords) is the Funerals one. So who knows, you might get a report on that hike after all.

Mojave- Thank you! The weather is perfect for hiking.

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:52 pm

Wow, that must have been an incredibly tough hike!!! I'm sorry to hear you and your group got so beat up by that hike—I know you wouldn't spend a day in DV without going somewhere except in the most dire of circumstances :). Get some good rest!

No worries on the imagery question; I'll wait until you return home and have more time... I just know it was something you were curious about, and unsolved mysteries caused by GE tend to bug me.

Thanks for the distance info for the slots—I was looking at it on the map briefly and was ending up with a shorter distance estimate, so I figured I must have been miscomputing something.

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:29 pm

I'm looking forward to getting back to hiking tomorrow. It does drive me a little crazy just hanging around Furnace Creek all day doing nothing. But this is also a vacation, not a series of death marches. That's one thing I fail to remember sometimes.

If measuring from Warm Springs Rd to the mouth of Wingate Slot 1, one thing you have to factor in is the continuous curves of washes. The hike can't be done in a straight line or series of zigzags. 8 miles is fairly accurate, but could be shortened slightly if you were cutting corners in major bends across rough nasty terrain. I haven't released the maps yet, but they will come with the trip report. The hike SHOULD NOT be done from West Side Rd due to extremely bad terrain. Anyone considering Wingate Slot Canyon as a day hike needs to plan for 20 miles RT. And that doesn't even include Slot 2 or Slot 3, which would tack on a combined 4 miles additional.

Uncle Slatyon
Jayhawker

Post by Uncle Slatyon » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:51 pm

Great stuff Steve, I look forward to the full report. I hope the weather is as good when we are out there in 10 days.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:49 pm

I don't know what you might be planning in the Funerals, but Funeral Peak from the Greenwater road is a pretty straightforward hike with some decent views at the end. It's basically a long ramp with a few sections of basalt rocks to walk over. I think I recall running into some petros some place up there but it was a long long time ago. (I'm not thinking of the Greenwater Canyon petros)

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:12 am

Now very interested to learn more of your death march!
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:43 pm

Thanks for your comments. I'm enjoying another day off just relaxing and taking my son to the park. I took him down to Natural Bridge earlier just for fun. Not my favorite hike with all of the tourists down there just hanging around under the bridge and not allowing for any pure photos of the bridge to be taken.

Yesterday, we did Red Wall through the end of the 3rd Narrows including the Talus Jack Bypass. The bypass took us 45 minutes and wasn't overly challenging. The only part which concerned me a little bit was the final spot where you climb back down into the canyon. That part is not too hard to climb down but you are placing your full trust on a large shelf of giant boulders that looks like it might collapse in the next earthquake (or sooner). Other than that spot, I actually enjoyed taking the bypass.

Then we climbed over the ridge and dropped into Upper Little Arches Canyon (our name for the major canyon south of Red Wall). More on that over on my Blog post and a few photos as well. Simply beautiful. 11 hours and 14 miles yesterday.

The final hike for this trip is up in the air. My hiking buddy cannot hike due to his blisters so I'm left scrambling for a replacement hike to Pyramid Peak. We will see.

sheepranch
Breyfogler

Post by sheepranch » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:58 pm

Hey Steve , go check out Craig Cyn. You could treat it as a day hike . South Pass is in pretty good shape from what I've read ...
it is only when you stop searching, do you become lost

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:35 pm

I'd love to do that, sheepranch, especially since your trip report on your hike there was so fantastic. Only problem is I don't have a vehicle that can get over there right now. (We sold our green Jeep a while back.)

I decided just to roam the Grapevines a bit tomorrow and have a little fun. This trip will come down to two hikes in the Owlsheads and two in the Grapevines. Can't beat that from my standpoint.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:29 pm

Goblin Canyon awaits.

But in all seriousness I hope you as having a great trip. :lol:
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:45 pm

Someday I will get out there, Gower. It looks like a challenging canyon so I need to set aside most of a day to fully document that one. Sometimes I get backlogged for years for hikes. That's what happened on this trip. I had been planning my Wingate Wash hike for close to 4 years and finally got around to it.

We are now back home and truly enjoyed our Fall 2014 trip. I know some of you will be there over this weekend enjoying some hikes. I just posted the brief captions and teaser images from our final two hikes over on my blog. The six new reports will be coming along slowly but surely in the near future.

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:29 am

It looks like one of our future DV hikes has already been determined... I've got to see those views from the top of Pyramid Peak!

And the narrows of Crescent 2SC definitely look like good slots! Did you happen to spot any more arches or fake bridges than were in my report?

Looking forward to reading your TRs!!