DV Nov 2014 -- Wingate Wash, Red Wall Cyn, Pyramid Pk

Been on a recent trip? Here is the place to share it.
MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:59 pm

Redwall is one of my favorite places and it was really fun to finally get up the dryfall when I went a few years ago and explored this bypass. Such an awesome place, though I always try to go on a sunny day because the colors are so great.

agtoau
Breyfogler

Post by agtoau » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:28 am

I am just getting started on Steve's reports. But WOW on the Red Wall Canyon!

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:08 pm

Our hiking day was not over after our hike through Red Wall Canyon was completed. To see what we did next, check out the report below. This was my personal trip highlight. You will quickly see why when you see the beautiful narrows in this report. Please keep in mind that doing this hike into the upper canyon requires an expert skill level for desert hiking, bypassing, and navigating. So I'd like to encourage the general public who browses this post and finds this report to stick to the lower canyon (seen in my Little Arches Canyon report). And just as a refresher, this is the major canyon north of Palmer Canyon. Myself and two other hikers who had hiked the lower canyon at separate times got together and chose Little Arches Canyon as the canyon name after several months of internal debates.

Upper Little Arches Canyon --
http://www.panamintcity.com/grapevine/u ... rches.html

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:20 pm

Wow! You really had a great year with canyon hiking ;-)
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:14 am

That's true, Gower. Especially with this canyon where it feels like I hit the jackpot. I actually really like the lower canyon as well and have been trying to promote it as much as possible because it's easy to get to and so interesting.

I've already got my plans laid out for my next 3 days in the park hopefully sometime in Jan. I was looking at finally carrying out my Sugarloaf Peak hike but have to figure out whether or not it would require a Jeep rental to get to the starting point on Warm Springs Rd. And then I have two canyon hikes planned along with that.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:02 pm

You don't need a rental for Warm Springs. It's so meticulously graded that it's practically a joke. When I was last up there someone was in a regular sedan.

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:22 pm

Do you think I could make it to the turnoff for Panamint Mines Road in a hybrid family car? It's the first main turnoff to the left (I think) when driving up Warm Springs Rd.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:20 pm

Easily. To minimize off road driving, enter W Side Rd at the south end. Road tends to be in better condition from the south end anyway. There are a few spots on Warm Springs that are a bit rocky but going slow is the key when in doubt.

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:39 pm

Great. Thanks for the tip. I was bit unsure of the road based on what I'm driving but it sounds like the Sugarloaf hike will be doable on this trip.

I just went through my photos for Crescent Bridge Main Side Canyon which will be the last hike from my Nov trip to get a report. Incredible pictures. Probably the best photo set from the trip. That hike gets an A+. Final report should be out before end of the year.

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:12 pm

Final report from our November trip.

Crescent Bridge Main Side Canyon --
http://www.panamintcity.com/grapevine/c ... gemsc.html

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:54 pm

Not sure if anyone from here would be interested in this one, but this is my new updated Ubehebe Crater report featuring new pictures from Feb 2014. This new report is mainly for tourists.

Ubehebe Crater --
http://www.panamintcity.com/cottonwood/ ... rater.html

Kauri
Grubstaker

Post by Kauri » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:29 am

Thanks for the reports, Steve! Looks like I'll have some serious reading to do soon with all your great TRs.

It's always interesting how the forums are so quiet for most of the year, and then once the DV hiking season comes around reports appear faster than I can keep up with them!

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:44 am

Yeah, that's true, Kauri, But even though there are a lot of reports which have been posted on the forum lately by different people, there is very little and sometimes no discussion about them on here. People post them and hardly anyone replies. But at least we know people are reading them.

agtoau
Breyfogler

Post by agtoau » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:45 am

Of course we Death Valley aficionados read them. And love and appreciate them.

SteveH
Death Valley Resident

Post by SteveH » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:21 pm

agtoau wrote:Of course we Death Valley aficionados read them. And love and appreciate them.
I know mine are read because I keep track of the views per page. But I was thinking more about others -- especially newer forum members. People will be less inclined to post trip reports if no one is replying to or discussing them. I know everyone is busy so it's just a thought in view of a couple private comments that were shared with me.