March 2017 Trip Report

Been on a recent trip? Here is the place to share it.
Aedwards27
Breyfogler

March 2017 Trip Report

Post by Aedwards27 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:30 pm

I got lucky this time! Unlike the past two trips, I missed the wind and the rain. I arrived into Lost Wages on the 8th at 1:30 and I was set-up at my campsite in the park by 6:30. The first night temps dipped down into the high-40s. After this, I had 50s-60s at night and hotter day-time temps on the last day of my trip. In total I walked 63.7 miles in four full days.

I went to some new places, revisited some old ones, and found new things at some of the old ones!

Day 1- I had never made the trek to Virgin Spring, so it was my first hike of the trip. This was the only place where I spotted flowers in bloom. There were plenty (along with quite a few vees and a few Lady Bugs). I didn't realize I would have such an amazing view of the Owlsheads here.

My second stop of the day was to revisit a site I stumbled upon during my previous trip. Last time I was here, the wind was gusting to 30+. Today it is calm and nice.

Day 2- I am out to revisit an old favorite. In the process of exploring I find a few new things I had never seen, as well as a pictograph (I will post this in the photography forum, as I will detail how I utilized D-Stretch).

Along an old trail I've explored before, I make some new discoveries.

After walking about 12 miles I decide to take a bit of a break before going for a moonlit walk at Badwater. I decide to drive up Wildrose, cook up a snack and enjoy the scenery.

Day 3- I haven't been to Jayhawker Canyon in 4 years. I am also not happy with many of the photos I took back then (I need better examples for a project I am working on), so I am off to hike Jayhawker.

Two years ago I found lots of wildflowers just off the road to Dante's View. I decide to go look. I strike out, but I find some other nice greenery in a nice, relaxing 4 mile walk.

Day 4- The BIG one! I end up hiking over 19 miles on this day. The majority of which involves following a series of old trails from a spring. I have done things in this area before, but the 13 miles RT is the largest hike I have done here. The amount of hunting blinds (some still standing), stacks and trails here is astounding. I can't wait to get back.

Hey! I haven't been to Ubehebe in SIX years. I think I'll go follow Digonnet's advice for hiking the entire crater field (something I have never done).

Wait! I still have some daylight left, lets check out another new place. Mummy Canyon.

Day 5- It is time to head to Las Vegas to catch my 5pm flight back home. I'm up at 6:30. I'm not going to Vegas....yet.

Okay, okay, now I'll go catch that flight.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:08 pm

Wow that was a great trip, you really put in some miles both in the car and on foot, and it looks like you savored every minute of daylight! Glad you got good weather. It was crazy hot the week I was out there (TR coming) and then really windy the week after. Looks like you got the pick of litter!

bbb
Jayhawker

Post by bbb » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:32 pm

Great shots. I've never seen a view of the crater like that. The wind is always the wild card. I've had nights in DV where I thought my tent was being attacked and woken up to everything being blown away that wasn't nailed down.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Post by MojaveGeek » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:09 am

Last time I went to hike Ubehebe my daughter could not open her car door against the wind, so we went in a canyon instead. It's a cool crater though!

Aedwards27
Breyfogler

Post by Aedwards27 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:50 am

The previous visits I had to the crater were almost windy enough to prevent me from opening the door!

It was in the low 80s that day and it was perfect for a nice walk.

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:17 am

Great pics and places.

Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker

Old and New

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:02 am

Aedwards27 wrote:I went to some new places, revisited some old ones, and found new things at some of the old ones!
This is one of the continued seductions of DV, finding new items in previously visited locations. The time of day and year also change the experience. The zoom in and zoom out/macro to micro is also stimulating.

Thanks for posting such an enjoyable, informative and visual trip report!
Life begins in Death Valley

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:44 am

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome stuff as always!!! PM Sent.
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

Aedwards27
Breyfogler

Post by Aedwards27 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:38 pm

Thank you everyone for the great responses. Once I finish editing some more of my photos I'll have a gallery up to even more stuff and I'll update this thread with a link.