April 8-21, 2017 report

Been on a recent trip? Here is the place to share it.
User avatar
MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:22 pm
Location: Boston

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun May 21, 2017 8:31 pm

Sounds epic!

So we got to 10460 somewhat late in the day and low on water. We were a bit intimidated by some rock pillars on the divide ridge over to Sourdough and worried about getting stuck up there without water. But if you were coming from the west side on the way up, you'd have plenty of water.

I like the idea of caching food at 10460 but would suggest caching some water there as well if possible. There is a nasty bunch of mountain mahogany on the west slope of 10460 but we survived. Just a bit north of 10460, right smack on top of the ridge, there's a sweet little campsite with a stone wall. You're right, don't try to climb up from Water. There's a lot of loose talus that you can slide down OK (not unsafe) but would be killer to climb. Lower Water is full of downed logs but passable.

If you're on the ridge and need to get water at Happy, the E/W ridge that divides upper Happy in two is good walking and meets an old road part way down the ridge.

There used to be a caretaker at the Porter Mine. He gave us water when we went through once. Sorry I can't remember his name.

Yes this would be an amazing hike. And I like the idea of coming back from Telescope off the trail. I presume you'd leave food/water in your vehicle at Mahogany of course.

You could return from the Bald Peak area off the crest on the west side for variety. The ridge down from 35.3102N to the marked mine is straightforward. There used to be a nice cabin there but it got trashed. The road west from there crosses the old Skidoo pipeline and you can follow pieces of that and old road past the Christmas mine and over into lower Wildrose canyon, then head up the middle of the canyon to the kilns, or follow the pipeline until it hits the road to the kilns.

User avatar
wbdeford
Grubstaker
Posts: 496
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Post by wbdeford » Mon May 22, 2017 7:21 pm

Thanks for more great info! Will check it out on caltopo. Yes, definitely food and water in the vehicle at MF.
MojaveGeek wrote:Sounds epic!

So we got to 10460 somewhat late in the day and low on water. We were a bit intimidated by some rock pillars on the divide ridge over to Sourdough and worried about getting stuck up there without water. But if you were coming from the west side on the way up, you'd have plenty of water.

I like the idea of caching food at 10460 but would suggest caching some water there as well if possible. There is a nasty bunch of mountain mahogany on the west slope of 10460 but we survived. Just a bit north of 10460, right smack on top of the ridge, there's a sweet little campsite with a stone wall. You're right, don't try to climb up from Water. There's a lot of loose talus that you can slide down OK (not unsafe) but would be killer to climb. Lower Water is full of downed logs but passable.

If you're on the ridge and need to get water at Happy, the E/W ridge that divides upper Happy in two is good walking and meets an old road part way down the ridge.

There used to be a caretaker at the Porter Mine. He gave us water when we went through once. Sorry I can't remember his name.

Yes this would be an amazing hike. And I like the idea of coming back from Telescope off the trail. I presume you'd leave food/water in your vehicle at Mahogany of course.

You could return from the Bald Peak area off the crest on the west side for variety. The ridge down from 35.3102N to the marked mine is straightforward. There used to be a nice cabin there but it got trashed. The road west from there crosses the old Skidoo pipeline and you can follow pieces of that and old road past the Christmas mine and over into lower Wildrose canyon, then head up the middle of the canyon to the kilns, or follow the pipeline until it hits the road to the kilns.

User avatar
wbdeford
Grubstaker
Posts: 496
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Post by wbdeford » Mon May 22, 2017 9:46 pm

Jail Canyon Road to Corona Mine camp:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 76d14bef32

User avatar
MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:22 pm
Location: Boston

Post by MojaveGeek » Tue May 23, 2017 6:15 am

Oh, one more thought on the mega tour. You can go up Wildrose from the slope above the Christmas Mine, I'm pretty sure. I've gone from the mine up into treeline and it looked pretty good. Probably nicer than walking back on the road. The section from where the Wildrose trail cuts west off the crest to get back to the Kilkns on along the ridge to Mahogany Flat is straightforward, btw.

User avatar
wbdeford
Grubstaker
Posts: 496
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Post by wbdeford » Tue May 23, 2017 7:43 am

MojaveGeek wrote:Oh, one more thought on the mega tour. You can go up Wildrose from the slope above the Christmas Mine, I'm pretty sure. I've gone from the mine up into treeline and it looked pretty good. Probably nicer than walking back on the road. The section from where the Wildrose trail cuts west off the crest to get back to the Kilkns on along the ridge to Mahogany Flat is straightforward, btw.
I'm thinking if I make it that far, I will be so tired that I will want the path of least resistance from the north end of the crest back to Mahogany Flat. But I try to plot out a maximum route and build in short cuts if it turns out to be too much, so will keep all of that in mind.

User avatar
wbdeford
Grubstaker
Posts: 496
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Post by wbdeford » Sat May 27, 2017 3:28 pm

Argus Range in the morning and evening sun from about 4000ft in Jail Canyon, + 1 shot from Panamint City.

Not the greatest pics, but a highlight for me is recognizing the Panamint Peaks' shadows on the Argus range.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... a5d83c15ad

User avatar
MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:22 pm
Location: Boston

Post by MojaveGeek » Sun May 28, 2017 5:57 am

Yes, those are nice shadows!

User avatar
wbdeford
Grubstaker
Posts: 496
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Post by wbdeford » Sun May 28, 2017 12:21 pm

MojaveGeek wrote:Yes, those are nice shadows!
Thanks. I dug up one from my 2014 trip where I got evening sun against the Black Mountains. The whole crest is there on this one!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... f104f1e681

User avatar
MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:22 pm
Location: Boston

Post by MojaveGeek » Mon May 29, 2017 6:26 pm

very very nice!

User avatar
Death Valley Dazed
Grubstaker
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:24 pm
Location: Utah

Shadow crest against Black Mountains

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Wed May 31, 2017 1:23 pm

wbdeford wrote:The whole crest is there on this one!
Wow, Brian that is one of the coolest images I've ever seen about Death Valley. Your ID of the mountain top shadows is on the par of forensic fingerprints and DNA, except what you did was not a crime. LOL

Experiencing the sunsets, rises and moon sets and rises out in the park is just to die for. This adds a whole new meaning to the word "death" in the title of my favorite national park. ;-)
Life begins in Death Valley

User avatar
wbdeford
Grubstaker
Posts: 496
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: Shadow crest against Black Mountains

Post by wbdeford » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:30 pm

Death Valley Dazed wrote:
wbdeford wrote:The whole crest is there on this one!
Wow, Brian that is one of the coolest images I've ever seen about Death Valley. Your ID of the mountain top shadows is on the par of forensic fingerprints and DNA, except what you did was not a crime. LOL

Experiencing the sunsets, rises and moon sets and rises out in the park is just to die for. This adds a whole new meaning to the word "death" in the title of my favorite national park. ;-)
Thanks, DVD....I was on my way up to camp in the Arcane Meadow for a lunar eclipse. The shadows are easy to ID if you just look for the twin bumps that are Rogers and Bennett :)

User avatar
wbdeford
Grubstaker
Posts: 496
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Post by wbdeford » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:05 pm

Jail Canyon to Hall Canyon:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 5c64938972

This road offers great views of the Panamint Valley, plus views of the Sierra Nevada and the White Mountains, and a couple of views up to the Panamint crest.

sddarkman619
Jayhawker
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:03 pm

Post by sddarkman619 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:52 pm

Candace_66 wrote:
teotwaki wrote:Excellent trip report. You can easily outhike me. :cool:

You mentioned McElvoy Canyon so here is a link to some interesting history from a 1994 write-up

http://4reliablecomputers.net/californi ... moyer.html

Inyo Mountains - Beekeeper of McElvoy Canyon

Desert Mysteries: The Beekeeper of McElvoy Canyon

by Wendell W. Moyer (1994?)
Thank you for that link about Marion Howard.

I came across this high on Inyo Mountain, while I was climbing it from Union Wash (back in 2003):

Image

Image

In 2015 when I visited McElvoy Canyon from the bottom, I didn't get much past the mouth...I wasn't about to trust that rope!


Image

Hi Candace!
Want to chat with you about those pictures sometime, maybe before my next Beveridge trip in the spring.
Larry

Post Reply