DV April 1-14

Been on a recent trip? Here is the place to share it.
jwinner
Jayhawker

DV April 1-14

Post by jwinner » Sat May 06, 2017 7:31 am

I posted about a trip we were planning in early April so thought I would post the result. We did go, saw most of what we planned to. I haven't uploaded pictures anywhere, but I did put my iphone videos together and uploaded it, here's a link: https://youtu.be/8q3s8j3QMJc

Sorry if my poor videography causes motion sickness heheh. And most of the places we went are nothing special to you folks that have been around there a lot. This trip was the first time I have been there with an off-road vehicle which really allowed us to see a lot with our limited time. Everything we did was new to both of us.

It included a couple days in Trail Canyon, then over to Wildrose to see the kilns and hikes and sightseeing areas off of Emigrant Canyon road. Wildrose was ok but really some of the worst camping we had. I didn't know it would be full during the week, but it was. The price was right though! Trail canyon was the only place where we didn't see another person the entire three days we were there.

Then we went to Thompson Canyon/Minietta/Lookout City, etc and spent a couple days camping and hiking. Then drove over Hunter Mountain to Hidden Valley, then the Racetrack and Homestake campground, then home. Racetrack was well worth seeing but quite popular. That bumpy road to Ubehebe crater was not much fun.

Look forward to another chance to visit someday.

wbdeford
Grubstaker

Post by wbdeford » Sat May 06, 2017 11:07 am

Nice video! If you are doing stuff that requires ropes, etc, you have done things many of us many-time visitors have not. I loved visiting that camp in Trail Canyon a couple years ago. The water wasn't the best, but it was water :)

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Sat May 06, 2017 12:12 pm

Looks like a pretty great trip to me. Definitely saw a few of my favorite places featured in your video and it makes me wish I had a second chance to visit the park this year. Bummer about Wildrose being a drag to camp at. I purposely avoid all of the campgrounds and popular cabins just to experience as much solitude as possible. Lucky Find Millsite / Cabin in Trail Canyon also proved to be a nice overnight location for us a few years back. Thanks for sharing.

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Sat May 06, 2017 1:25 pm

Really nice video covering a lot of territory. Was the road to Mohagany Flat open? That's a nice place to camp when temps are fair.

How long til you get a shell or pop-up camper on your truck? ;-)

jwinner
Jayhawker

Post by jwinner » Tue May 09, 2017 5:51 am

Thanks. Yeah the road to Mohagany Flat was open but we did not go up there. It was already chilly at the charcoal kilns, too cold up there for my blood. But I would like to go back in summer to hike Telescope Peak and camp up there, I'm sure it's much more comfortable then.

A camper or shell would be nice, especially out there. My wife was about ready to have a nervous breakdown one night at Wildrose, the wind was howling, blowing dust across the campground and right into our tent. A lot of these tents nowadays have quite a bit of mesh - even with our rain fly on, it would get under the edges and then get through the mesh, there was a layer of dust on everything. There were other windy nights, but they weren't as bad elsewhere since there wasn't as much exposed dusty ground in our little roadside camping spots.

Oh and what someone else said about gas was news to us. We got some at Furnace Creek assuming that Stovepipe Wells would be about the same price. Nooo, Stovepipe Wells was a dollar a gallon cheaper! And then Panamint Springs was just insane but I expected that.

wbdeford
Grubstaker

Post by wbdeford » Tue May 09, 2017 6:30 am

You went at the time of year when windstorms seem to be the most frequent. It is my least-favorite aspect of DVNP weather. It is one of the reasons I just use a bivy, ground pad, and sleeping bag.

Stovepipe Wells gas is quite reasonably priced. I think I paid 2.899 at Big Pine, and 3.17 at Stovepipe Wells--I was satisfied with that. They only have 87 octane, though. It's also nice to see a gas station that doesn't do that ridiculous 9/10 of a penny.