Echo Canyon

Been on a recent trip? Here is the place to share it.
Randy O
Jayhawker

Echo Canyon

Post by Randy O » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:01 pm

We drove all the way through Echo Canyon yesterday for the first time... and maybe the last, who knows. Anyway I could see why people have so much trouble on the waterfall which is really the worst spot on the "road." The mining camp on the Amargosa side of the range was really a cool thing to explore since the road goes right through it and the maze of roads up there are a little confusing if you don't have a good map even though the main route is more well traveled. Here is a short video of us coming down the bad spot.

MojaveGeek
Death Valley Resident

Re: Echo Canyon

Post by MojaveGeek » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:40 pm

Looks rather tight in there, between the wall on one side and the drop on the driver's side. Nope I don't think I'm going to be driving down that any time soon :)

Randy O
Jayhawker

Post by Randy O » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:22 pm

Yeah, you had to hug the rock wall to keep away from that drop off but there was more room than it looks like in that video.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Echo Canyon Waterfall

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:19 pm

Randy O, that's a really cool video. I had a blast two years ago doing the exact same thing in a rented jeep like yours. I crossed my fingers and went for it because turning around was not a feasible option. The only regret I had was being in a hurry to return the jeep which kept me from exploring the locations you mentioned. This is a good excuse to return and spend more time in the area. Thanks again for posting your vid and report.
Life begins in Death Valley

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Re: Echo Canyon Waterfall

Post by D.A. Wright » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:55 am

Death Valley Dazed wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:19 pm
The only regret I had was being in a hurry to return the jeep which kept me from exploring the locations you mentioned. This is a good excuse to return and spend more time in the area.
I overnighted at the ghost town of Lee in the spring of 1999, spending a half a day on each side of the night exploring the ghost camps of Lee, California; Lee, Nevada; Lee Annex (which straddled the sate line) and Echo. The video can be found in this thread on another forum.

http://www.exploreforums.com/topic/3022 ... ment-24524

The link is found at the end of my lengthy post, which includes details of my visit, maps, and history. The video is around 36 minutes long. You will get a feel for the sites. What was there then should be pretty much the same today, as what is left is stone. And after studying satellite photographs since the trip, I’ve found that I barely scratched the surface.

A good publication if you are interested in the history is WESTER PLACES:FUNERAL MOUNTAINS, by Alan Patera (I aided in this effort with travel, photos and research in period newpapers and courthouse documents, and am mentioned in the forward). Alan was with me in the video, as well as George Huxtable, who was at the time president of the Death Valley Hiker’s Association. The publication should be avalable at the visitor center, or online. The publication also covers Chloride City, the Keane Wonder complex, Echo, Inyo Mine and Schwab.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:13 am

The video of the Jeep negotiating the dry fall reminds me a lot of Goler Canyon in the 1990s.

It seems that spot had been filled in a bit. I remember when hiking up that section in 1999 the drop off was solid bedrock and pretty severe, but doable with a modified, short wheelbase rig.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

JesPortland
Grubstaker

Post by JesPortland » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:47 pm

Ok,

I think I will limit my visits to The Inyo Mine in my Tundra which is too long for that route you took!

Maybe just walk it instead?

Aedwards27
Breyfogler

Post by Aedwards27 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:56 pm

Is this near the point where you get a good view of the Amargosa Valley?

Or am I mis-remembering things I have read?

Randy O
Jayhawker

Post by Randy O » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:22 am

This spot in the video is on the west side of the range closer to Inyo Mine than the Amargosa Valley. There were a couple of smaller rock steps you had to drive over on the Amargosa side but they were much easier than this one.