April 19-23: Badwater -> Telescope -> Badwater

Been on a recent trip? Here is the place to share it.
wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Re: April 19-23: Badwater -> Telescope -> Badwater

Post by wbdeford » Thu May 10, 2018 5:14 pm

I still want to traverse the crest of the Panamints. Until last year, I had pretty much given up on that idea as being too hard to be fun. My Panamint City trip last year, including doing Sentinel Peak from Panamint Pass and also hiking the Sourdough Canyon Road got me starting to believe again that I could do B -> T without being miserable, and this trip got me to believe I can do the traverse. If I get up the courage to try that, it will have to be in the next few years--bout to turn 47.

Next up is R2R2R at the Grand Canyon in late August. It is comparable to B2T2B in distance and elevation change, but it's all trail with frequent water sources, so it should be easier....should be....I've heard the area known as the Box can be pretty tough due to heat.

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:16 pm

Brian, I stumbled across this while researching something else. I wonder if she took a route similar to yours? I remain totally impressed by both of your efforts!

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/sports/f ... 80585.html
Life begins in Death Valley

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:53 am

Thanks, and thanks for letting me know about this!

Wow, that's impressive. She started at Shorty's Well, so she didn't cross the valley. She took all her water with her, which means she probably went straight up and over the South Fork ridge, rather than going up to Hanaupah Spring and up the side of the ridge. So, she probably diverged from my route at about 2300 ft and rejoined it at about 5150 ft.

I still want to do the day hike version of this, though it will be up-only. I am not a runner at all, so no way could I even come close to doing what she did.
Last edited by wbdeford on Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:03 am

Looks like she did, in fact, go to Hanaupah Spring and up the side of the South Fork Ridge as I did. So, same route as mine, minus crossing the valley.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/highl ... 420/?hl=en

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:20 pm

wbdeford wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:03 am
So, same route as mine, minus crossing the valley.
There must be an ideal body size/weight ration/scale that is optimal for this exertion? Too heavy or long and you over expend energy and too light/short you just don't have the stamina. Thankfully there is plenty of wiggle room for imperfect bodies like mine to thoroughly enjoy "getting out there!"
Life begins in Death Valley

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:29 pm

I am sure that whatever is ideal depends on how you want to do it. If you want to run it like she did, it's probably best to be lean. For camping, it probably helps to be a little bulkier (though not overweight) so that the amount of weight you need to carry isn't too high a % of body weight. (I am 5' 10" and about 185 lbs.)