Death Valley National Park; Bristlecones and Summit Camps Nov 4-7, 2018

Been on a recent trip? Here is the place to share it.
John Morrow
Jayhawker

Death Valley National Park; Bristlecones and Summit Camps Nov 4-7, 2018

Post by John Morrow » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:38 am

After a wedding followed by some Sierra hikes, finally departed the Sierras for the desert landscapes of California.

Nov 4:

First a detour to the White Mountains/Ancient Bristlecone Pine Natural Area of the Inyo National Forest since it was basically on the way to Death Valley National Park.

Easy interpretive trails lead through the fine specimens of trees and great viewpoint from high in the mountains. We chose a 4.7 mile Methuselah Grove Loop and 1 mile Patriarchs/Cottonwood Basin Loop.

More pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23557848@ ... 3448983184

Nov 6 and 7: Telescope Peak 11,047' overnight and summit camp.

Tommy and I finally arrived in Death Valley National Park. His first time so he set the agenda for the next five days.

First stop, the 8 mile one way maintained trail to Telescope Peak where set set up camp on the summit for a cold and windy experience!

The next morning we returned to the TH leaving the trail and running the ridge over Bennett Peak 9980' and Rogers Peak 9994'.

Driving back to the low country to warm up, we stopped for some petroglyphs.

More pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23557848@ ... 3547906305

netllama
Grubstaker

Re: Death Valley National Park; Bristlecones and Summit Camps Nov 4-7, 2018

Post by netllama » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:24 pm

Thanks for posting the great trip report.

TacoLand
Grubstaker

Post by TacoLand » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:05 am

Checked out both sets of photos on Flickr -- nice shots, thanks for sharing. Don't know that I'd ever spend the night on Telescope (a 16-mile roundtrip hike sounds more my speed), but you definitely got some great sunset and sunrise photos for your resilience!

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:32 am

Loving this. My favorite image was the colorful one facing south from the summit looking over to Sentinel and Manly. Thanks for sharing!
Life begins in Death Valley

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:26 am

Great shots! I have twice combined ABPF with DVNP--once by design, and once when a dying tire forced me to get out of the Saline Valley sooner than I had planned.

How was it sleeping up on Telescope? I have wanted to do that but so far never have....thinking about it for my next trip in May. I've slept along the trail at 10K ft in April, so hopefully I can manage 11K ft in May :)

Death Valley Dazed
Death Valley Resident

Post by Death Valley Dazed » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:14 pm

wbdeford wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:26 am
How was it sleeping up on Telescope?
I hope that John Morrow will tag this conversation. I camped overnite once on Telescope, Late June two years ago and loved it. The challenge is finding a semi-level spot for your sleeping pad/tent. There are no level spots. John's image of his red tent is the only spot just a few feet below the summit that is sleepable. There are some spots about a hundred yards or so on the northeast to east face that campers have scraped and leveled out, but I wanted to say "I slept overnite on Telescope" so John and I used the same exact location.

FYI - The weather report was clear with no heavy wind so I took no tent and did not regret that. I suspect that the nightly low temp was in the high 40's or low 50's and it warmed right up with the sun rising. I highly recommend overnighting on Telescope especially for the rises and sets of the moon, sun and milky way.
Life begins in Death Valley

wbdeford
Death Valley Resident

Post by wbdeford » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:51 pm

I'm not worried about levelness....I have slept on hillsides, using my backpack under my knees to keep from sliding downhill. I did that in Trail Canyon when I got darked out before making it down to the wash.

Whether I attempt it will depend on timing. If I reach the summit early in a day, I will probably march on. But if it is after, say, 4PM, might give it a go.
Death Valley Dazed wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:14 pm
wbdeford wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:26 am
How was it sleeping up on Telescope?
I hope that John Morrow will tag this conversation. I camped overnite once on Telescope, Late June two years ago and loved it. The challenge is finding a semi-level spot for your sleeping pad/tent. There are no level spots. John's image of his red tent is the only spot just a few feet below the summit that is sleepable. There are some spots about a hundred yards or so on the northeast to east face that campers have scraped and leveled out, but I wanted to say "I slept overnite on Telescope" so John and I used the same exact location.

FYI - The weather report was clear with no heavy wind so I took no tent and did not regret that. I suspect that the nightly low temp was in the high 40's or low 50's and it warmed right up with the sun rising. I highly recommend overnighting on Telescope especially for the rises and sets of the moon, sun and milky way.

John Morrow
Jayhawker

Post by John Morrow » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:35 am

Hi all, quick reply, I can add more when I have a chance. We found 3 spots large enough for individual bivy or 1 person tents. Mine pictured, one on the south side of the summit below the register and one 15 feet to the west slope. That was about all.
John