Snow on the Eureka Dunes, Dec. 2003

Discuss and share your favorite photos, techniques, cameras, or anything else related to photography
Candace_66
Death Valley Resident

Snow on the Eureka Dunes, Dec. 2003

Post by Candace_66 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:25 pm

Came across these while going through my 35mm prints.

If I saw this nowadays, I'd take 100 pics! Obviously, back in the dark ages of print film, only pros would take dozens of shots of anything. After all, unlike using digital, every print cost money. But that's still no excuse for me only taking two pics of this rare sight! :oops:

Anyway, here are the two of them for you to enjoy. Taken December 13, 2003.

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Re: Snow on the Eureka Dunes, Dec. 2003

Post by D.A. Wright » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:46 am

Nice! I know what you mean on cost of doing photography. I had gone digital in 1998, but before then shot primarily Kodachrome 64.

And, yes, I remember the snow on the dunes in 2003. I got a shot or two of snow on the dunes from over the years, but all of them from a distance. Actually, snow on them is not all that unusual. I often saw it for myself as I passed through the valley quite regularly as I travelled into the Tule Canyon/Gold Mountain/Gold Point area.

The only time I’ve actually walked the dunes was in early 2003, and that during a soft, steady rain. I had them all to myself. No one was at the campground, I saw no vehicles parked near the dunes.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.

ETAV8R
Grubstaker

Post by ETAV8R » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:33 pm

What a great experience. Thanks for sharing.

Gowergulch42
Death Valley Resident

Post by Gowergulch42 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:13 am

D.A. Wright wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:46 am
Nice! I know what you mean on cost of doing photography. I had gone digital in 1998, but before then shot primarily Kodachrome 64.

The only time I’ve actually walked the dunes was in early 2003, and that during a soft, steady rain. I had them all to myself. No one was at the campground, I saw no vehicles parked near the dunes.
I just shot an entire roll of color at the Painted Hills up here in Oregon. I am learning shoot film because of its different properties. Compose with digital, shoot with film!

Both times I've been to Eureka have been strategically planned to happen just after rain! The first time it had rained the night before, and we discovered the sand to be hard enough for comfortable walking. That was 2008. 2010 it had rained, so we set out for the long haul and reached the top of the dunes on the hard-ish sand. Whole valley to ourselves!
Check out my reports and informative ramblings at http://dvexplore.blogspot.com

D.A. Wright
Death Valley Resident

Post by D.A. Wright » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:02 am

Yes, it is amazing how firm the sand becomes when it is wet.
D.A. Wright
~When You Live in Nevada, "just down the road" is anywhere in the line of sight within the curvature of the earth.